Unable to start bigfix agent 9.2.3.68 - libBESCrypto.dll

Hi I am unable to start the agent on my windows 7. The installation works like a charm but i get the error:
Starting client version 9.2.3.68
FIPS mode disabled by default.
Client shutdown (Failed to load libBEScrypto shared library: Dynamic library failed to load (C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client/libBEScrypto.dll): LoadLibrary failed.)

I have tried to research this on the web; Some have solutions for Linux but none for windows. The agent did work on my system a few weeks back; But when i tried to re-install a newer agent, the windows service never started (although it got created) Pls. let me know if anyone has a solution for windows;
Pls. note that the agent is working on other systems properly. Only my system is acting weird.

What previous version were you running?

Also if your processor isn’t at least a PIII then it won’t work. Is there any information in the client log?

I actually started playing with the tool a couple months back. So i had the version 9.2 something installed. Then i used the iem client remover to remove it and finally installed the latest agent which came with our final deployments this week.
I am copying the agent logs for both version 9.1 (test case) and 9.2:
FYI: windows 7 with icore 7 processor:
Current Date: June 5, 2015
Client version 9.1.1117.0 built for Windows 5.0 i386 running on WinVer 6.1.7601
Current Balance Settings: Use CPU: True Entitlement: 0 WorkIdle: 10 SleepIdle: 480
ICU data directory: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client’
ICU init status: SUCCESS
ICU deployment character set: windows-1252
ICU local character set: windows-1252
ICU transcoding between deployment and local character sets: DISABLED
At 15:00:28 -0700 -
Starting client version 9.1.1117.0
Client shutdown (Failed to load libBEScrypto shared library: Dynamic library failed to load (C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client/libBEScrypto.dll): LoadLibrary failed.)

Client version 9.1.1117.0 built for Windows 5.0 i386 running on WinVer 6.1.7601
Current Balance Settings: Use CPU: True Entitlement: 0 WorkIdle: 10 SleepIdle: 480
ICU deployment character set: windows-1252
ICU transcoding between deployment and local character sets: DISABLED
At 15:01:11 -0700 -
Starting client version 9.1.1117.0

Client version 9.2.3.68 built for Windows 5.0 i386 running on WinVer 6.1.7601
ICU report character set: windows-1252
ICU fxf character set: windows-1252
ICU transcoding between fxf and local character sets: DISABLED
ICU transcoding between report and local character sets: DISABLED
At 15:02:00 -0700 -

At 15:04:01 -0700 -

At 15:04:22 -0700 -

At 15:04:38 -0700 -

Both versions you are using will attempt to load the libBESCrypto.dll which uses the manifest and DLL files that are with the agent. There should be no issues with that if all the files are there. I’d suggest opening a PMR

Yup; i did check that the files exist. A noob question: what is a PMR and how can i open it? I understand that it might not be relevant to the thread, but appreciate the help

@Siddew You should be able to find information about PMR’s in the second Pinned message at the top of the forums.

In case you have hidden the postings, here is the link …
PMR Information in Forums

1 Like

I had a similar problem a while back. I eneded up using a utility call depenecy walker, which outlined a missing dll that the BESCrypto was looking for. I copied it from similar system after that the agent worked fine.

1 Like

Thank you. This sounds exactly like what i might need. I will give it a run and update.

Found the solution:
For me, the main problem was and IS, libbescrypto dll version. For some reason, my version of Windows 7 doesn’t accept the version of dll the latest BigFix client wants to run.

Solution that worked:
BESRemove latest version;
Go to github : https://github.com/bigfix/platform-releases
Find the oldest version of the major release that you are using; Since i was using 9.2; i tried 9.0; Boom!!! it worked like a charm;

I even tried upgrading the client via Console; But that will not work if the libbescrypto has some dependency issues. So, yes, try older versions and see if that works;

I havent truly found a solution of why libbescrypto’s latest version is causing issues on my laptop.

So what is the configuration of your laptop’s processor?

try to replace ActionSite.afxm file in to client side

Anything in specific? It is a icore7, 64 bit proc.

Hi,
I am also getting the same error (BESClient log) on windows server 2008 64 bit machine, I tried to replace the dll (libBEScrypto.dll) from working machine to problematic machine, as well as actionsite.afxm, but no luck

seem same error while start the BESClient service, error code 32,

Any other trouble shooting method would appreciate,

The client should install with a manifest and a few DLL’s next to it. These all should work fine on any 2008 machine running at least a Pentium III

is BIGFIX agent 9.5.3v woking intel Xeon processor as well ?

Hello Everyone, I am installing the client 9.5.8 on windows server 2012 R2 which all have been built using the same image. Out of 20 servers, 5 of them did not want to start the BES client. The event log is showing “Windows could not start the BES client on Local Computer…specific-error code 32” and the BES client log is showing “At 09:11:06 +0000 -
Starting client version 9.5.8.38
Client shutdown (Failed to load libBEScrypto shared library: Dynamic library failed to load (C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client/libBEScrypto.dll): LoadLibrary failed.)”

I tried the masthead solution but still playing up.
I also checked the other solution and tried to find C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC90.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4148_x-ww_d495ac4e\msvcr90.dll, but is no where to be found, not even on the 15 servers where the client started correctly…

Any ideas will be appreciated.

You probably need to open a PMR. The Agent doesn’t need to use the WinSxS msvcr90.dll as its installed via a manifest right next to the agent and should be in the same directory as the agent itself.