Unable to login tem server, have you run BESadmin to create the signing key on the server. Is the server able to connect to the databse

unable to login tem server, have you run BESadmin to create the signing key on the server. Is the server able to connect to the databse

Please help me to identify the issue.

I am not sure if this is a “reply” to some question, or the Question itself.

Everyone genuinely wants to help, but at time can be a “bit” frustrated with questions that are ambiguous in nature. Please take the time to think about your problem and relate it to the forum - (such as)

1. List your current environment (the parts that someone may need to understand your issue)
    2 What are you trying to do?
  2. What STEPS did you do?
  3. What part are you stuck on, and what lead you to the error message (if any) that you see?
  4. What other steps did you do to try to SOLVE this problem yourself?

In the Question above - I “think” you “may” have just installed BigFix (tem), and are trying to login - but you are getting an error message???

So re-write your question

1. Hello, I have just tried to install BigFix (tem) on a windows 2008 machine, I was able to run the server installer, and the Console installer all on the same machine, no agents yet
  2. When I try to login to the console, using the username/password I put during install I get this message (screen shot). I have not, at this time reviewed any logs file.
  3. Screen shot of your issue ( I am assuming you received an error message, but that is unclear)
  4. I am guessing you don’t have any steps you did yourself at this time.

– My only SUGGESTION at this point, would be to run the BES Admin tool before you try to login to the console. But again, not enough information to help you…;-(

2 Likes

@dpowers1, I have mentioned the error it’s not an questions. Our TEM server was up and running fine and server OS is Windows based and database is SQL. Since morning today, we are facing this error as subjected.

" Unable to login the server, Have you run BESadmin to create the signing key on the server. Is the server able to connect to the database"…

I have tried to check whether it’s license related issue or not. but unable to process as I need some suggestion on this.

OK - now we have more information - The system was up before and working but now it is not (and this was not caused by an upgrade) so I doubt it has much to do with the BES Admin tool and signing key. The error message seems clear that the server can’t talk to the database. so…

1. s your database LOCAL or REMOTE?
  2. Is the database up and reachable?
  3. check the database logs - transaction logs full? etc…
  4. How do you connect / authorize to the database?

I would hazard to guess that you may be using an account to access the database, and if this account had it’s password expire or lock out… then that is your cause.

1 Like

@dpowers1, issue has been resolved. Database file was deleted and that’s the reason database connection was not happening.

Thanks for your supports.

:smile: Maybe not in my top 5 list of what the problem was… but Glad you figured it out, and hope you had a restore point to go to…

@dpowers1,

could you guide me some links or notes regarding content authoring as I am in learning stage and unable to figure out vulnerabilities Assessments gap closure for win servers and non windows servers.

Before you get into “content authoring” - why don’t you tell me what your current BigFix environment has for licenses. I assume You have “patch” management, so I would start there. In your Patch Domain, start by looking at Recent Content, and filter down to Critical / Security Updates:

Then try to create a BASELINE of these updates. Follow some best practices

1. READ each Fixlet (patch) and understand what it is doing

2. Pay Attention to RED or Important notes

3. Test on TEST system before deploying to production endpoints

Once you are confident your baseline works for your test machines, start to roll out to production while adhering to your company’s change management policy (time window/reboots/etc).

Thank you for the support @dpowers1,

We have 15000 clients in Bigfix where servers (200) are also included in this count. We have recently upgraded our Bigfix version to 9.2.5. Our licensing is patch management, lifecycle, power management, Ibm compliance & server automation. We do maximum patch level management on Desktop/ Laptop and servers.

Recently we have received 200 servers where BES client to be installed. As unable to find automation is this part, I think we have to install BES client manually.

If they are windows endpoints you can use the network deploy tool that should be on your BigFix server

To remotely install the agents over the network, or use a Windows GPO and the MSI file to install the agent.

Hi dpowers1, these machines are based on diff domains so it won’t be installed through client Deploy tool.

I believe our manual effort is the only way.

I upgraded to Big Fix 9.5.10 on my Windows server 2012 R2. ILMT web console is working fine.
I am getting the bellow when trying to launch BigFix Console.
“Unable to login to server. Have you run BESAdmin to create the signing key on the server ?”

I tested the database connectivity and it shows success when tested using odbc.

Please let me know how to resolve this issue.

You need to do exactly what it says. It usually means that a completion step during the upgrade wasn’t completed and BESAdmin (with the keys) can complete it. It could mean there was an error though as well and you may need to open a PMR.

Hi @psinha2013 How did you isolate that the database file was deleted? How can we prove that the database file was deleted or someone deletes it? and How are we going to resolve the issue?

Please help.

This is actually happening to us right now.

Regards,
Pogi

1 Like

Hi everyone,

We were using BigFix 9.2.5.130 at my Company and I upgraded it to 9.2.17.28 (as described at the website)
Now I want to upgrade it to 9.5.10.79 version but have some problems.

1)We have a lisence but don’t know the site admin key (when I upgrade to 9.2.17.28, It was not a requirement)
2)When I started the server.exe, it stucked at database upgrade 8.32 for a while then instantly ended.

Console.exe run successfully, at the end the error that mentioned at first post is appeared.
I tried to start BESAdmin Tool but couldn’t open because don’t know the site admin key.

Is there any way to fix it? If there is not, I will revert to latest snapshot but I don’t want it :slight_smile:
Site admin key is not a necessity for the upgrade processes am I right, Its required for only login to BESAdmin tool?

The site admin password is required to run upgrades. That’s the password to your server’s encrypted certificate private key. It’s all based on PKI; HCL does not have your private key password, and there are no known tools that could recover it.

Running BESAdmin.exe is part of the upgrade process - BESAdmin is used to upgrade the database schema between versions, and the certificate & key are needed to digitally sign the records in the database.

If the password to your private key cannot be retrieved, you’ll need to plan on building a new BigFix deployment with a new key and migrate your systems from the old deployment to the new one.

Rolling your system back to the old version by restoring your snapshot & database is likely the first step you’ll need.

You won’t need to buy new licenses, you can use the License Key Center to generate a new license and move your machine counts from the old license to the new one.

The migration can be somewhat complex. I’d strongly recommend building a small new deployment to test your migration process first, and you should probably consider engaging Professional Services to help plan & execute on the project. We do similar contracts for customers of all sizes regularly. If you’d like some contact info send me a private message or email me jason.walker at hcl.com

Thanks for the information Mr. Jason. First upgrade was minor, I guess I didnt need the key because of that.