Unable to launch IBM BigFix Administration Tool

Dears,

When we launch the IBM BigFix Administration Tool on the BigFix Server(Windows), it prompts for the Site Admin Private Key…after entering the password…it prompts as follows:

Database: bfenterprise (Only option available in the list)
Username: sa (cannot be changed)
Password: xxxxxxx (we tried with all the passwords, but could not log in)

We are using Remote instance of SQL database, it is a consolidated database with Username as "bigfixadmin"
We tried using the password for the above Username, still unable to connect.

Could you please assist me??

Hello ani1214,

This answer from Steve might help you:

Please note the following KB article for changing a default username from sa to a custom name:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21666274

Also it might be helpful to install SQL Management Studio on a BES Server box, configure it to connect to the remote DB using the same settings as BES Server and try to connect to that DB.

Regards,
Vitaliy

2 Likes

Dear Vitaliy,

As per the document, I tried adding the DWORD, but still it reflects the same.

Is there any other workaround?

Hello ani1214,

Which user was selected for the DB connection during the Server install?
Is this a new (just installed) deployment?
Is Server able to connect to the remote DB?
Was BESAdmin able to connect to the remote DB previously?

Before trying a custom user we might need to make sure that DB connection works for sa (or for another user selected for the DB connection during the Server install).

Also please be sure that the database username you are planning on using has sa level rights to the database. And specifically DBO rights to the BFEnterprise database.

Regards,
Vitaliy

Which user was selected for the DB connection during the Server install?
-We created a username as “bigfixadmin” under dbcluster "DBCONxxxx"
Is this a new (just installed) deployment?
-its been few days installed
Is Server able to connect to the remote DB?
-Yes
Was BESAdmin able to connect to the remote DB previously?
-No
Before trying a custom user we might need to make sure that DB connection works for sa (or for another user selected for the DB connection during the Server install).

Also please be sure that the database username you are planning on using has sa level rights to the database. And specifically DBO rights to the BFEnterprise database.
-Yes, the SQL team has given DBO rights to the database, but, the database name is “DBCONxxxx” instead of “BFEnterprise”

You should probably open a PMR with the support team, they may need to do a remote session to figure out your configuration.

Is BESAdmin allowing you to change the logon jame off of “sa” now that you’ve added the registry key? If not, the path or key name may not have been entered correctly.

Is BESAdmin still reflecting the wrong database name? I’m not sure, but I think besadmin also uses ODBC so be sure to check that both 32- and 64-bit ODBC connections are using the correct remote database name. You can check via c:\windows\system32\odbcad32.exe and c:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe

Thanks a lot for your response Jason. I will definitely check the ODBC connections for remote database name.

Hi Ani1214,

As per Vitaliy, the document is proven and works fine with us. In the REGEDIT > HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > Bigfix > BFEAdmin > Settings. Create the “AllowCustomUsername” in “Reg_DWORD” type with a value of 0x00000001 (1).

Hope this help.

1 Like

Hello,

We have the same issue. The Admin Console keep asking for credentials and is Not allowing to change the User ID for the database login. So far we had:

• Changed all of the ODBC 64/32 that Big Fix created with the correct Database Credentials (w Successful Test to the DB Server)
  • Added REGEDIT > HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > Bigfix > BFEAdmin > Settings. Create the “AllowCustomUsername” in “Reg_DWORD” type with a value of 0x00000001 (1)
    (+ restarted)

Any other solution you guys have? We are still experiencing the same issue.

1 Like

Run the BESAdmin tool as different user (hold shift then right click on BESAdmin tool -> run as different user)
Then run as an user that has rights to the BFEnterprise database.
If needed, use SQL management studio to validate the user first, and check it has DBO righs over BFEnterprise and BESReporting.

2 Likes

Hi

I’m installing a new BF 10 server on Windows with remote databases. When selecting database server and logging in with windows credentials which has sysadm rights to the database, I get AdminTool Error: The Bigfix server was unable to launch the Admin Tool to perform a preinstall check. Then setup exits. Any solution for this?

This sounds like a user privelages issue. I would recommend validating that:

the user you are logged into the server has local administrator privileges
the user has access to the remote database and has sysadmin rights in SQL
You are running the installation as admin (right click-launch as admin)
Alternatively, you can create a dedicated service account for this, and apply the above logic accordingly.

I also highly recommend that you run the BESRemove tool if you have attempted multiple installations, and also re-boot the machine before starting again. Ensure that you have backed up your .pvk, .crt and masthead files and select the masthead instead of a license authorisation file when you run the installer again.
Link to latest BESRemove tool: https://software.bigfix.com/download/bes/100/util/BESRemove-10.0.1.41.exe

Also make sure there is no firewall blocking communication between your BigFix server, and the SQL server (you should be able to telnet on 1433)
You can also use ODBC to validate/test connection.

Related to the SQL sysadmin rights, this can be reduced to dbo for the BFEnterprise and BESReporting databases after the install. You may need to elevate back to sysadmin when you are running a future upgrade though.

Thanks for your reply, I have run the remove tool and check the use rights and FW accesses but still get the same error message.
I don’t understand your advice “select the masthead instead of a license authorisation file”. The installer needs both the Site Admin Private key (license.pvk) and Masthead file.

Have you isntalled from scratch using the instlaltion generator, or are you only instlaling with just the Server component?

Also, do you see any log files in either of these places? Substitue your user in the first one.

C:\Users{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\BigFix\BESAdminDebugOut.txt
or
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\BigFix\BESAdminDebugOut.txt

Yes I have installed from the generator. I also have the log file from C:\Users{USERNAME}\AppData\Local\BigFix\BESAdminDebugOut.txt. Can I send it to you?

I’ve just started having this same issue, it was working fine a week or two ago and nothing has changed (usernames, passwords, databases, privileges) since then.

If I run the admin tool as the user that the BigFix services run as it works fine. But if I use the admin account that I log into the server with it prompts to connect to the database and then throws an error.

It works fine on the DSA server.

Can you run the installer itself as the user that has sysadmin access to the database? (It should also have local administrator privelages on the BigFix Server)

Hold shift while you right-click > Run as different user