Unable to install FontAgent 10 software

hi , trying to install a Fontagent 10 windows 10 software , i can install it silently with Fixlet Debugger but when i execute it from action script it does not install

does fixlet debugger skip or ignore any UAC permission ?

waithidden cmd.exe /C C:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\setup.exe /qn - Not working and it does not install software

action uses wow64 redirection false
    createfile until EOF 
    cd C:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\setup.exe /qn

EOF
delete "c:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\install.bat"
move __createfile "c:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\install.bat"
waithidden cmd.exe /C cacls.exe C:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\install.bat /E /G Everyone:R
override waithidden=true
completion=job
wait “c:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\install.bat”

I see you’re already disabling wow64 redirection, good, that’s one of the most common issues.

I don’t know anything about FontAgent, but perhaps it is a per-user installation. You may need to override the ‘wait’ command to run in User context rather than LocalSystem context. I have a post describing those options at Tip - Action Override User settings

1 Like

Don’t think this is accurate execution. It probably needs to be something like:

cd C:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\ & setup.exe /qn
or
C:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\setup.exe /qn
depending on your intentions…

Also, don’t think the following is right, at least doesn’t mention any kind of shorthandedness to be allowed
override waithidden=true

According to documentation, you need to specify what you are overriding and then the key-value pair for the behaviour that you want to override.
override <cmd>
<keyword>=<value>
<keyword>=<value>
<cmd> <rest of command-line>

2 Likes

i tried with the below script but still it is blocking msi to run and getting below error message , but when i run it from fixlet debugger it succeeded

Command succeeded (Exit Code=1603) wait "C:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\install.bat" (action:24454)

// Enter your action script here
action uses wow64 redirection false

createfile until EOF

cd C:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10
Installer.msi /qn

EOF

delete C:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\install.bat

move __createfile C:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\install.bat

override wait
runas=currentuser
completion=job
wait "C:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\install.bat"

try adding cmd.exe to the execution and see if it makes a difference, something like:
wait "{pathname of system folder & "\cmd.exe"}" /C "C:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\install.bat"

i tried but i got same error, it is executing and open a cmd prompt but without runas administrator and that is the main issue i guess , msi is running in normal cmd window

Even when i tried to install msi manual on normal cmd windows does not work but it works only in runas admin cmd window

how to fix runas admin in current user session windows in bigfix ??

override wait
runas=currentuser
asadmin=true
completion=job

Full documentation & examples: link.

asadmin=true does not work with currentuser

i used the below it works but , i can’t hardcode the user name as i might not aware which user will be there in the desktop or laptop
override wait
runas=localuser
user=user1
password=required
asadmin=interactive
wait “C:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\install.bat”

2nd option , but did not work

override wait
runas=localuser
user=administrator
password=required
asadmin=interactive
targetuser=domain\{name of logged on user}
wait "C:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\install.bat"

@JasonWalker

Any suggestions pls

Can you attach a client log?

20230221.pdf (112.5 KB)

@JasonWalker - As i was unable to upload the .log / .txt file so changed the extension to .pdf., please download and change the extension to .txt. so that you can review that file.

I mostly use the forum from a phone - can you just copy & paste the portion of the log where this action is running?

Command succeeded (Exit Code=1603) wait “C:\bestemp\FontAgent_Windows_10\install.bat” (action:24454)

when i change bigfix agent logon property to current user and execute action script without any runas=current user it executes the script

but if bigfix agent logon property run with any different user or local system user it does not install the software

i am not sure if bigfix agent block fontagent software package as it is running with local system account

It looks as though the software is standard MSI so All Bigfix is really doing is invoking the Windows installer service to process the MSI. A few thoughts.

1. Calling the MSI directly can fail in some cases if the user has inadvertently assigned the MSI file type to another application. Its safer to call the MSI with misexec.exe to avoid those possible scenarios/
  2. You can call the MSI directly from the action, no need for a batch script., eg
    wait msiexec.exe /I {path_to_installer.msi} /qn {plus any other MSI options}
  3. Try enabling verbose logging with the msiexec switches, /l*v then review the Windows installer log for possible causes. See msiexec.exe /? for command line options
  4. Does the vendor support an All Users type install via the system. Maybe MSI properties passed on the command line can help force the mode to meet your requirements, eg /ALLUSERS=1
  5. Consider contacting the vendor to seek advise on how to perform installation via enterprise software distribution tools such as, but not limited to, Bigfix.
2 Likes

i contacted the vendor and ask them to allow AllUsers and they did changes into their msi and finally it got installed with single wait command

thanks everyone for the suggestions

2 Likes