Unable to install BesClient on Windows 2008 x64 server

(imported topic written by npeters91)

We’ve tried to install the besclientmsi.msi on 2 separate servers running Windows Server 2008.

The setup starts and then goes away.

The event log shows the following 2 entries.

• Product: BigFix Enterprise Client – Installation failed.

• Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: BigFix Enterprise Client. Product Version: 7.1.1.315. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error status: 1603.

Thanks,

Nathan

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Is that with the MSI installer or the setup.exe installer (I think that version of the MSI has a known issue on x64 systems)? Try the setup.exe installer and see if it works…

Ben

(imported comment written by StacyLee)

Are you running the installer under admin privledges?

(imported comment written by npeters91)

I was trying the MSI installer. Didn’t realize there was an issue with MSI installers.

I did try the MSI as an administrator from a command prompt using MSIEXEC, but had the same results.

I will try the SETUP.EXE installer.

Thanks for the input.

Nathan

(imported comment written by npeters91)

I guess I could have waited on that last post.

The Setup.exe installer worked great.

Thanks!

(imported comment written by joe9165)

I’m having the same problem installing the 7.2.5.22 client via a GPO. I get the 1603 error in the event log on Windows Server 2008 x64 but works fine for Windows XP. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

Did the setup.exe installer not work either?

Ben

(imported comment written by joe9165)

the Setup.exe worked fine but I’m trying to install it using group policy.

Hey Joe,

We have this fixed in 8.0 (couple months away)… and I think that will be the fix that will ultimately solve this issue for you…

Ben

Hi I am a newbie to BigFix but not to IBM nor agent-based products like this. My only intention here is improving the experience for everybody. My observation I am posting today is that this article is from 2010 and it fixed my issue, and it’s almost 2016. I have multiple platforms to install and package in an enterprise environment, and Windows was the last one I did, and it was the most problematic. Since in the middle of the v9.2 documentation under Installation and Installing the Client, there is only one section which covers Windows installation options, using the MSI option. I already had the EXE download for 9.2.6 but I was doing RTFM to the best of my ability. I was running the MSI silently from a CMD window with Admin rights [msiexec.exe /i E:\software\ILMTv9\BESClientMSI.msi /T=1033 /qn] and it was not able to write to the default Client install destination. I had pre-built that directory [c:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Client] once and then again from an Admin CMD to ensure I was getting rights setup properly. After a few tries I found this post, then ran the EXE from a directory where I had the actionsite.afxm, and poof they logged in to the server faster than a [fill in the blank with something fast]… So I am curious, are there some docs on how to install using the EXE for the next guy to come along? Thank you

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21505981

BTW: remember that the BES Client process is still 32bit, so your install folder should be under Program Files (x86).

Thanks for the reply Tim. Following the URL you posted, the client install path on that page is “c:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise \BES Client”, so I would hope somebody would direct your correction information to the web author to update it. My point about finding this information outside of the formal installation instructions is still outstanding. The details of the installation path are important. Also important is that the ILMT v9.2 installation documentation states that a user installing Windows Clients can use the MSI method, or the EXE method. This is what I was calling out. This is the URL, which states “Installing the client with MSI” as the only option for installing the Windows Client. http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSQL82_9.2.0/com.ibm.tivoli.tem.doc_9.2/Platform/Adm/c_installing_the_client_manually_linux.html