Not a question, just passing on what I learned today. RHEL 7 ulimits work differently on some types of server service startups. So if your using a RHEL root, I’m guessing your running a larger implementation and you should set the ulimits higher than 1024. You can’t use the normal /etc/security/limits.conf file. You have to create and app overwrite file. I would do this for both besserver and beswebreports.
cat >/etc/systemd/system/besserver.service.d/filelimits.conf <<EOF
cat >/etc/systemd/system/beswebreports.service.d/filelimits.conf <<EOF
…then reboot your server. Gives a result of this in the bes root logs:
Tue, 06 Nov 2018 10:19:39 -0500 - Main Thread (630691904) - Soft Limit for Max Open Files: 65536.
You can also validate the filelimits.conf file is in use by running:
[root@rootserver~]# systemctl status besserver.service
● besserver.service - SYSV: Starts and stops the IBM BigFix Server daemon
Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/besserver)
Active: active (running) since Tue 2018-11-06 10:45:06 EST; 54min ago
Process: 2757 ExecStart=/etc/rc.d/init.d/besserver start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Hope this helps someone else. I went round and round with support on our server crashing and they kept saying our ulimit was too low even though I THOUGHT I set it. Hope this helps them help others too.