Trying to gather Warranty information

(imported topic written by Tim.Rice)

Lee Wei’s
Computer Browser Web Report
has a feature to let you click a link and view the Warranty information for Lenovo/IBM, HP, Apple, and Dell computers.

I’m trying to expand on this by creating a Task that will use a command line CURL utility to retrieve the Warranty Information pages, parse it and store the Warranty Date for pickup by a Retrieved Property. We’d like to include it in a CMDB, and I find that Automated is usually better than Manual when it comes to gathering this kind of data.

I can retrieve the page with the information, but as is typical of modern http pages, they’re a mess of CSS and html formatting tags.

Has anyone had any experience picking apart HTML to retrieve a value using Relevance? Any pointers you can offer?

I expect I’ll have to create multiple Tasks, one for each Manufacturer WWW page.

The plan is to have the Tasks populate a “Warranty Info” Client Setting that I can pull into a Retrieved Property. This way for those systems where there is no easily accessible web page with warranty information, the setting can be manually set, and the Retrieved Property can pick them up as well.

(imported comment written by jgstew)

we have this already in our environment.

Apple is easiest because Rusty maintains a great shell script that does exactly this.

The other manufacturers tend to break as they alter their webpages. If you are going to run a task/fixlet already on a system to CURL the webpage, then you might as well also parse that webpage using something other than relevance to dump out exactly what you are looking for to a file or registry keys so that it is much easier to read in using relevance.

I’ll have to dig up what we have and share it if I can and it is not already.

Feel free to “email me” here about this:

Hello James,

I am looking for an content authoring to check warranty status for any machine model like lenvo, hp and dell using bigfix relevance.

please suggest if any.

will be appreciate.

I think you’ll have to explain more about how you are doing this without BigFix relevance, and then we can give better information on how to take your process and run it within BigFix.