Trying to find Google Chrome installed (analysis question)

(imported topic written by johnsonbj91)

I’m trying to find Google Chrome installs in our environment and having issues. This is what I have so far:

if exists key "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Google Chrome" of current user keys (logged on users) of registry then (values of keys "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Google Chrome\Version" of current user keys (logged on users) of registry) as string else ("N\A")

Not sure if it’s because I’m getting hung up on the HKCU reg key stuff because that’s where it installs. Anyone have a better approach or at least shed some light on my sitaution?

Cheers!

(imported comment written by tscott91)

Try this:

if exists key “HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Google Chrome” of registry then (value “Version” of key “HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Google Chrome” of registry) as string else (“N\A”)

Scratch that… It only works in the Debugger…

(imported comment written by johnsonbj91)

tscott

Try this:

if exists key “HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Google Chrome” of registry then (value “Version” of key “HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Google Chrome” of registry) as string else (“N\A”)

Scratch that… It only works in the Debugger…

Indeed. I’m running the debugger as the Service account. I also think that due to my inexperience with the relivance language that maybe I’m not grabbing the proper value of the registry key, but then again maybe this is one of those situations where BigFix can query on the HKCU area of the registry, but it cannot return its values?

I may have to wait until there is a Google Chrome fixlet. It’s just that I’m trying to meet compliance and Chrome is falling through the cracks. Then again, every version I’ve seen in the wild is current because of the Chrome update facilities Google has working.

(imported comment written by tscott91)

Yea, Google Chrome does autoupdate…

This should work… It won’t work in the debugger but will work in BigFix:

if exists key “Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Google Chrome” of current user key (logged on user) of registry then (value “Version” of key “Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Google Chrome” of current user key (logged on user) of registry) as string else (“N\A”)

(imported comment written by johnsonbj91)

tscott

Yea, Google Chrome does autoupdate…

This should work… It won’t work in the debugger but will work in BigFix:

if exists key “Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Google Chrome” of current user key (logged on user) of registry then (value “Version” of key “Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Google Chrome” of current user key (logged on user) of registry) as string else (“N\A”)

Worked like a charm :slight_smile: thanks!

(imported comment written by JackCoates91)

Hi,

we’re publishing Fixlets today in Updates for Windows Applications that should detect Google Chrome. See this post for more detail: http://forum.bigfix.com/viewtopic.php?id=6827

thanks,

Jack