TROUBLESHOOTING: Run BES Client Diagnostics (Linux/UNIX/Mac)

Sometimes when running the “TROUBLESHOOTING: Run BES Client Diagnostics (Linux/UNIX/Mac)” fixlet it only uploads a single file “Index.txt” to the root server. Why does that this happen? Why isn’t it uploading the archive of log files, etc like it typically does?

Thanks!

The archive may be exceeding the maximum archive size for the upload manager, either on the client or relays. Standby…

Check _BESClient_ArchiveManager_MaxArchiveSize for clients and _BESRelay_UploadManager_CompressedFileMaxSize for Relays/Root Server at https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/9.5/platform/Platform/Config/r_client_set.html#r_client_set__armg

Thanks Jason, do you have any recommended values you would recommend based on your experience?

“It Depends” ™

I’d check on some of those clients to see the size of log that it’s generating. The default client setting of 1 MB is probably too low.

There is some guidance if you’re using Inventory scans, as those archives are often larger. Are you using Inventory?

I got a kick out of the trademark comment. No, I’m not using inventory currently. I will toy around with the settings and see if i can get it working (seems like that is the issue based on what i’m seeing in the index.txt file).

Thanks

Hi Jason … do you have a link to the recommendations for Inventory Scans?

–Mark

If I recall correctly, there’s a fixlet in the Inventory site with a warning when the upload manager settings are at the (low) defaults. There should be a link in the fixlet description.