Trouble using secure parameters

Hi, I’m trying to test a fixlet like https://www.bigfix.me/fixlet/details/2593 to secure a password sent to a msi installer in a fixlet. I downloaded the .bes file and imported it and when i run it, the action status just sits at “Evaluating” and the client log doesn’t show any signs that the client is processing the actionsite.

BES client version is 9.2.5.130 for Windows. Anyone know why this would be? thanks

• What version is your root server?
  • Does this client normally process actions right away? Do you have command polling enabled?

The action created should be sent to the client’s mailbox site and NOT the actionsite. Actions using secure parameters must be targeted at specific computers directly.

It would be helpful if you could provide more info, including the actionscript or the full .bes file but be careful to redact any server Hostnames / FQDN’s.

A full redacted copy of the export of both the fixlet/task and resulting action would be useful.

That can also occur if the client has any other action stuck in a state of “Running”, so check the Actions tab on the client and see if there are any other actions in that state.

1 Like

BES root is 9.5.4.38 (windows) and yes, actions normally complete right away as expected on this client. Command polling is set at the default client values. When i pushed the fixlet I did target by computername so i assumed that mailbox was being used (and “by retrieved property” is grayed out). The client reported back with an action status of “Evaluating” but then it just sits there. This seems to be unique to this fixlet.

Attached is the exported fixlet and the exported action. The client does have 6 different open actions of the fixlet in a state of either Running or Evaluating.

fixlet-secret parameter test v3.bes (2.0 KB)
action-secret parameter test v3.bes (2.8 KB)

As Jason said, if a client is actively “Running” an action, then other actions will not process. Instead they show a status of evaluating.

Is your client stuck running one of the previous actions?

Stopping the old open actions and repushing the fixlet allowed the new action to complete successfully. I’ve never seen that before where a stuck “Running” action prevents new actions from running, but I guess it makes sense why.

I also noticed that in the BES client log, complete actionscript commands are missing (“waithidden” is there for example but not the rest of the line). I assume that’s just default behavior when the “secret” parameter is used, and I can just enable normal logging by using the command “action log all” ?

You got it. You can toggle it on/off using:

action log all - toggle logging on
action log command - toggle logging off.

thanks I don’t see any references to the “secret” parameter on the developer.bigfix.com site (except when talking about "action log " command). Maybe it’s considered a hack because it requires manually updating the .bes xml fixlet file, but it seems like it should be recorded out there somewhere.