Trouble running in user context -- System utility: CMDKey.exe

I have been trying to get a list of all stored credentials on a Windows 10 system and run into a bit of a wall. Thought I’d see if anyone else has come across this or has a suggestion. The System user command runs fine (and generates a log) however as a user it generates an empty log with no results (even if the user has no entries in their credential manager you should get output). I have attempted with/without 64 redirection and attempting both the native system folder and system folder. Also attempted with interaction and saw the CMD box but no change in logging result.

Latest AS:

//------------------------------------------------------------
if {x64 of operating system}
action uses wow64 redirection {not x64 of operating system}
endif

waithidden cmd /c {native system folder}\cmdkey.exe /list > c:\programdata\InvCredMgr_SYS

delete {“c:\programdata\InvCredMgr_” & name of logged on user whose (active of it) as string}

override wait
completion=job
hidden=true
runas=currentuser
wait cmd /c {native system folder}\cmdkey.exe /list > c:\programdata\InvCredMgr_%username%

//------------------------------------------------------------

I haven’t used cmdkey myself, and don’t know whether this is the only issue, but I see a problem on this line

wait cmd /c {native system folder}\cmdkey.exe /list > c:\programdata\InvCredMgr_%username%

The %username% would only evaluate as an environment variable in the context of a batch file; %username% has no special meaning to Bigfix Actionscript. Try a relevance substitution instead, such as you did on the delete line

wait cmd /c {native system folder}\cmdkey.exe /list > {“c:\programdata\InvCredMgr_” & name of logged on user whose (active of it) as string}

Jason,
Interestingly enough the %username% expansion is happening successfully for the user context the fixlet runs under and generating the expected logname. I’ve also attempted to hard path the log name temporarily.

Worth mentioning, running the command below from an interactive command prompt succeeds and generates the log with expected content:
cmdkey.exe /list > c:\programdata\InvCredMgr_%username%

Log output: c:\programdata\InvCredMgr_Nick
Target: LegacyGeneric:target=msteams_adalsso/adal_context_15
Type: Generic
Local machine persistence

Target: WindowsLive:target=virtualapp/didlogical
User: 02xfsznmroddlmdv

Target: LegacyGeneric:target=msteams_adalsso/adal_context_3

Well that’s … unexpected on may part. Learn something new every day!

Try to see whether the script is giving any error output by redirecting stdout as well…

wait cmd /c {native system folder}\cmdkey.exe /list > {“c:\programdata\InvCredMgr_” & name of logged on user whose (active of it) as string} 2>&1

Good call; I forgot to do redirection.

So the instance run from system dumps to the log:
Currently stored credentials:

• NONE *

While the user run instance dumps to the log:
The current directory is invalid.

So as expected the utility is having trouble with BigFix calling as the user but curious result

Ah, I have an idea. When running as the current user, the process won’t have access to the BES Client\__BESData directory.

Try using appendfile to create this as a batch file, copy (not move) the batch out of BESData, and try running that batch as the current user.

Definitely true. The BESClient directory is usually unavailable to a generic user so if running with user permissions you would have to do this in a directory available to the user though knowing where that is is hard due to any environment variable being that for the SYSTEM user. You could figure out a safe space for the user based on usual paths though

I did modify the content to create & copy the file out to a place where users have rights to execute. Unfortunately I ended up with the same directory invalid message.

I have ended up going a slightly different way; for whatever reason (weird context thingy?) I was able to get the agent to run the command within a vbs wrapper.

//------------------------------------------------------
waithidden cmd /c { system folder}\cmdkey.exe /list > c:\programdata\InvCredMgr_SYS 2>&1

createfile until EOF
Set objshell = CreateObject(“WScript.shell”)
strCmd = "cmd /c c:\windows\system32\cmdkey.exe /list > c:\programdata\InvCredMgr_%username% 2>&1"
result = objShell.Run( strCmd, 0, true)
EOF
delete c:\programdata\InvCredMgr.vbs
copy __createfile c:\programdata\InvCredMgr.vbs

if {exists logged on users whose (active of it)}
override wait
completion=job
hidden=true
runas=currentuser
wait wscript c:\programdata\InvCredMgr.vbs
endif
//------------------------------------------------------

This line may not be correct, as it will be true if there is a user that is not the “current user” so it should be

if {exists current user whose(active of it)}

The logged on user inspector will give you back users that are not the “current user” which is the console user

Thanks Alan, good catch