Tracking logging count

Hello, I’m attempting to track a specific item in the server_audit.log file and have built the relevant link below for that. However, it looks rather expensive to run each time, and I can’t think of any other way out. Could you kindly examine and recommend any effective ways to shorten the timing?

Q: ((preceding text of last " " of (preceding text of first ", " of it & ", " & preceding text of first ":" of (following text of first ", " of it))) of (it as string) of (preceding texts of firsts "|" of following texts of firsts "|" of lines whose (it contains "my_string") of file "C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\server_audit.log" as string))
A: Wed, 29 Nov 2023
A: Sun, 03 Dec 2023
A: Mon, 04 Dec 2023
A: Tue, 05 Dec 2023
A: Wed, 06 Dec 2023
T: 21790.934 ms

Q: number of (preceding text of last " " of (preceding text of first ", " of it & ", " & preceding text of first ":" of (following text of first ", " of it))) whose (it as string = (current date as string)) of (preceding texts of firsts "|" of following texts of firsts "|" of lines whose (it contains "my_string") of file "C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\server_audit.log" as string)
A: 3
T: 11311.387 ms

This is probably not the best use-case for BigFix, I’d really suggest using a SIEM tool like Splunk for log parsing/aggregating/reporting, but there’s nearly always a way forward.

At first check of this relevance, it looks fairly efficient - no cross-product tuples are generated, the ‘lines of file’ retrieval only runs once…but I tried a couple of variations, and I was surprised to find that actually casting to time & retrieving date from it appears to be faster than some of the string manipulations you’re doing. I searched for an entry that appears a lot in my log - “ServerPluginService” has about 27,000 entries in mine. Your query ran in 6168 ms on mine, while the following gives the same result and ran in 3754 ms:

q: dates (local time zone) of (it as time) of preceding texts of firsts "|" of following texts of firsts "|" of lines whose (it contains "ServerPluginService") of file "C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\server_audit.log"

Likewise, this one runs in about 3700 ms, where your original ran in about 6300:

q: number of dates (local time zone) whose (it = current date) of (it as time) of preceding texts of firsts "|" of following texts of firsts "|" of lines whose (it contains "ServerPluginService") of file "C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\server_audit.log"

2 Likes

We know how long the returned string should be, so how about using substring instead of all the parsing

((substrings(0,16) of following texts of firsts "|" of lines whose (it contains "my_string") of file "C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\server_audit.log" as string))

I’m not even sure if the start of the line is always a single digit follwed by |

If it is it would be even more simple

2 Likes

Thanks @JasonWalker/@trn :slight_smile:

I tried both of your queries, but the results are almost the same on my computer—not much different.

Q: ((substrings(0,16) of following texts of firsts "|" of lines whose (it contains "my_string") of file "C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\server_audit.log" as string))
T: 12392.588 ms

Q: number of dates (local time zone) whose (it = current date) of (it as time) of preceding texts of firsts "|" of following texts of firsts "|" of lines whose (it contains "my_string") of file "C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\server_audit.log"
A: 3
T: 11072.724 ms

Q: dates (local time zone) of (it as time) of preceding texts of firsts "|" of following texts of firsts "|" of lines whose (it contains "my_string") of file "C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\server_audit.log"
T: 11219.860 ms

I think Jason is correct - the requirement is much better suited to a log ingestion tool

The other idea I had was to find the total number of lines, then use that to read the last n lines and parse just those (this does assume you are mostly interested in more recent results than digital archeology)

Is there still a built in 10 second limit for a property to complete its evalation when processed by the service?

I recall many versions ago (I think it was in the v7 and v8 era) it being mentioned that a property inspection would abort if it had failed to complete within 10 seconds. If so then with a 11219.860 ms time it may not even produce any results outside of the FixletDebugger