Throttling Solutions Suggestions

Hello All,

I haven’t had a great need for exploration of throttling options within Bigfix but am now faced with an opportunity. We have a fairly large environment with 50K+ endpoints and 88 relays. As the payload for patches gets bigger, we are seeing smaller sites with slower connections affected especially during business hours. We send out patches at night but many small sites turn their PCs off. The next day, of course, when PCs are turned on relatively at the same time, the network is impacted. I started looking at the different throttling options and wanted to poll the group for ways it has been handled.

A good scenario is we have a site with a 20MB connection. This site has 107 devices connecting to a relay in our datacenter that services 600+ devices.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and input.

1 Like

I took the easy route. We have about 11K endpoints with 50 relays world wide. I just set the Throttle Outgoing Traffic (Fixlet ID 163) to 12,500 Kbps on most of my relays. The network team has never complained.

Thanks for the reply. So with those settings at the relay level, does that slow down sites that don’t have bandwidth constraints?

Reading the document will give you more information.

But here is the gist for what I use it for:

Total outgoing download traffic for the Server/Relays

The Server can be configured to throttle the cumulative file downloads at any given time. When this throttling setting is enabled, the Server/Relays send out no more than the specified number of bytes per second for all file downloads (including IEM Clients and child IEM Relays). This setting is especially useful if there is a concern in a local area network that too much bandwidth will be used when a patch is sent out to many IEM Clients simultaneously.

BigFix Server cumulative download throttling can be configured by using the _BESRelay_HTTPServer_ThrottleKBPS setting on the Server.