(TFTP) File 'Rembo-x64UEFI' not available or not a file

I have gone through all of the steps (at least I think I have) for setting up a bare metal server and am getting this error when pxe booting into it “(TFTP) File ‘Rembo-x64UEFI’ not available or not a file”

I have direct boot enabled for UEFI targets and am using HP EliteBooks with secure boot. I setup options 66 and 67 for the DHCP server for pxe booting according to the OSD documentation.

Thanks in advance.

Hi.
I suggest to increase the global debug level of the bare metal server to “log notice messages” (bare metal server manager dashboard -> edit bare bare metal server entry -> set global debug level -> sync) and, when the sync is completed, to retry the PXE boot and send some lines more of boot.trc file.
If this does not help, I suggest to open a case for the support team.
Thanks.
Sergio

Next best interesting line is this after changing the log level like you suggested - " String not detected as interesting (Rembo-x64UEFI)"

Hi, you should probably also see some line before -> Failed to register target… and other logs that could be useful to investigate the issue.
I suggest to open a ticket to the support team.
Thanks.

Check the windows firewall. If you can disable the windows firewall and then test again.

Hi Brad,

Firewall is off and still getting the same error. I will give a link to the log file https://sp.box.com/s/7gbq4ccq31wots72h3o2ca1htxlz85b4

Ill open a ticket but it seems the issue is network related. Feel free to dig through the log in the meantime :slight_smile:

Do you also have DHCP Option 60 set to “PXEClient” ? https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/9.5/lifecycle/Lifecycle/OSD_Users_Guide/c_dhcpoption60.html#c_dhcpoption60

From my notes and the docs, the DHCP options we need differ depending on whether DHCP and OSD are on the same server; and whether DHCP should direct clients to the OSD Server, or whether the clients will reach the OSD server by broadcast/DHCP-helper.

For UEFI clients, if the DHCP server should direct the client to the OSD server, we need options 60, 66, and 67; BIOS clients can use options 60 and 43 instead; or if the client can reach OSD by broadcast, the DHCP server should not send options 43, 60, 66, or 67 at all - DHCP would only provide IP addressing, and then the OSD server would also respond to the broadcast DHCP discover with its own response to provide PXE info.

Hi,
I’m wondering if the missing MAC address may be related to the issue.
What is the NIC card vendor? And its model?

[2022/03/08 11:15:46:962] Target is entering state ‘LOADER TFTP LOAD’
[2022/03/08 11:15:46:962] It doesn’t make sense create a target without MAC, /172.16.230.56

I do not know if it may help you, I worked in past years in the team, but may be I’m beginning to forget…
Regards

Hi,
the boot.trc can provide more information. I suggest to provide that file (and the whole content of its folder) to the support team.
Thanks.

For our current WDS pxe booting, we only have 66 and 67, so we just have those on our test VLAN. We will add option 60 and try again. Thanks!

Hello,
in case the options 66 and 67 are not working, could you please try with the pair 60 and 43? Some example on how to calculate the option 43 is present in the documentation or the support team can help you.
Thanks.

Update: adding option 60 was the fix. Option 60 was not needed for our current pxe boot imaging solution so I looked over adding it.

Thanks again all!

1 Like