Testing BigFix on Windows 10, version 1709, Fall Creators Update

Hello All,

Is anybody testing with Windows 10, version 1709, also known as the Fall Creators Update? I am noticing that every time I reboot by selectin the power button through the user interface and then selecting either reboot or shutdown, it generates a message in the application event log that says.

The following application attempted to veto the shutdown: BESClientUI.exe.

On some devices this has no noticeable effect. However, on other devices it causes the device to hang on shutdown
This is what displays. A user must click the “Shut down anyway” button or else it will hang there forever

If you kill the BESClientUI.exe process it reboots

I am able to consistently recreate the log file entry on every Windows 10 version 1709 device I have. The reboot hang issue is more sporadic. I am able to recreate this problem with several different version of BigFix

9.5.3, and 9.5.7

I see this occur on various hardware, physical and virtual.

I’d love to know if anyone else is seeing anything similar

4 Likes

We are seeing this right now too.
The culprit is BESClientUI.exe

All of our Windows 10 1709 Enterprise x64 systems are getting this and my users are irritated.
Tested 9.5.6 & 9.5.7 client agents here.

1 Like

The 9.2 agents definitely aren’t supported on this OS so definitely don’t use those.

We’re seeing this issue as well. Luckily, we have Win10 1709 only in our testers group so far. But we have see it on physical (laptop & desktop) and virtual machines. To eliminate other variables, we even tested it with a fresh deployment of Win10 1709 – same result.

We have confirmed it on 9.5.6 and 9.5.7 clients as well.

Killing the BESClientUI.exe process before shutdown does ‘fix’ the issue.

1 Like

This is annoying, but shouldn’t cause any harm.

My only guess is that Windows 10 is killing the BES Client service before it can unload any and all BESClientUI.exe’s or perhaps it used to be able to do so, but something is preventing it in the new update.

One workaround, which is not ideal but should work would be to have a scheduled task that fires on shutdown that kills any BESClientUI.exe

This needs to be addressed quickly. I can’t see our site accepting this current state for BigFix. Anything that hinders a user’s experience is bad.
The information provided to the user just states that an application is preventing windows from shutting down, but no application info is available. This message scares the user and makes them think they are going to lose work. I can’t go back to my users and tell them “No, it’s ok, continue with a shutdown with almost no information as it’s probably a false-positive from BigFix” as their response would be: “ok, uninstall anything that is broken software then”, and they would be right.

This is why you test before moving to a new operating system :slight_smile:

1709 is only a month old, I’m sure of two things. Bigfix will get fixed, and this is not going to be your only problem.

We identified this issue and a few others during our qualification of Fall Creators Update, and are working on fixes. We will release a new agent that supports Fall Creators Update as soon as we can.

That’s what were doing, testing.
This does not negate the need for fixing a interruptive issue quickly.

Has anyone encountered difficulties with installation of the agent (9.5.6 here) on Windows 10 1709? Some of my distributed IT groups are starting to run in to an installation problem and I’m trying to isolate it. It’s made a little more complicated because we wrap the msi in custom code to allow people to choose some initial settings, but it’s looking like the failure occurs during the actual msi installer process. Windows Application log indicates

Unexpected or missing value (name: 'PackageName', value: '') in key 'HKLM\Software\Classes\Installer\Products\3B3AFD518B6CE5C47AAC9305A909AA98\SourceList'

@steve, can you give us an ETA on the 1709-qualified agent?

Thanks!

1 Like

The announcement went out today for the new agent

1 Like

It appears that the fixlet to upgrade the relays is pulling 9.5.7.90 instead of 9.5.7.94… It it comes back as a not relevant.
Action Script is wrong.

I’ve checked the fixlet (id 3131) in BES Support and it is correct.

I’m able to deploy the 9.5.7.94 Windows Agent.

Do you have BES Support v1371 ?

The Agent is fine. Its the Relay update that’s wrong.

Fixlet 3135? That seems to have the correct information in it as well.

The fixlet 3135 for windows Relay update seems correct, please check if you have the last BES Support version 1371.

Everything is working fine in here with Windows Fall Creators (1709). Thank you all for the good work.

Sorry Alan… Its all correct and working now.
Many thanks all

Can I get clarification on this

Is the only supported version for Fall Creators the 9.5.7 version or does the 9.2.12 version also include the fixed agent? We have a few reports of machines having this issue but seems sporadic. Just trying to figure out upgrade timeline and what versions I can upgrade to (currently 9.2.9)