Task to schedule all automation plans

Is it possible to create a Bigfix task to take action to schedule the automation plans?

We have about 10 automation plans for one night, and we have to schedule them all one by one manually. If I can create a task that will do this for me would be awesome.

adding @cmcannady I think he may have done something like this via API in his past life.

@Gujumax, it’s absolutely possible. To start you’ll want to install and get familiar with the Server Automation REST API. Once the has been installed, you can create a script to be scheduled and executed using the provided service account and begin start testing your process.

When I was a BigFix customer, I developed a process leveraging BigFix content and Server Automation to uninstall all INFRA and related software/config from the in-store servers and then rebuild the software after they’ve been renamed for a division migration as hostnames had division artifacts.

There were two automation plans with dozens of steps. In that case, the SA REST integration was with the enterprise helpdesk as it had an existing service account configuration with BigFix that had sufficient privileges to execute the division migration process.

Please note that the SA REST API is completely separate from the BigFix platform REST API that’s installed by default. There should be a fixlet in the “Server Automation” site to deploy the SA REST API to an available Windows server OS BigFix infrastructure server.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

@cmcannady - do you have a sample code that I can build off of to schedule automation plans? My end goal is to create a webpage for my team to use to schedule all 10 plans with a single click button.

@Gujumax, please forgive the delay in my response. I was badly injured in June/July last year and ended up on FMLA for several months. I’ve only been back to work for a couple weeks and finally getting back to the BES forum.

In any event, is this still an open issue for you? I would not be able to provide any code/example as that was developed for a prior employer and is their IP. Have you been able to review the SA REST API documentation I provided previously?