Take Action in BigFix

Hi All,
Is there a way to Take Action with other properties, other than hostname.
I have many host names as and would like to run custom Action on that fixlet.

Would like to know can we initiate Action by using any other property, other than hostname.

Hi there, depends how you are submitting the action. If it’s through the console/webui the hostname or dynamic property are your only two options. The latter does give you some leeway to costomize something else (you can write your relevance to pull list of machines by IP addresses for example or something like that) but it will be writing the relevance for it (i.e. translate a list of whatever to actual client relevance).

If you are willing to use RestAPI (i.e. programming approach) then you can do it with every which way you want but it will be two step process:

1. Run a session relevance as query to retrieve the target list based on whatever condition and property you want.
  2. Once you have the list of the machines you can take their ComputerIDs and pass that list via POST call into RestAPI to run it.
1 Like

Sorry but I had to redact some items.

If I understand you correctly, you want to target machines based on a property and not the hostname. This is built into BigFix already. Make sure your can see the property you want to use in your view. Then use the “By Retrieved Property” selection process.

This also works with dynamic targeting.