SUSE Linux Desktop to Oracle Linux OS Deployment

I have been briefly using BigFix for my Linux servers, Oracle Linux to be exact along with a few Red Hat servers. I just recently discovered the OS Deployment module that we are licensed to use and started reading the docs to get this setup to test. We currently have over 150 District Offices with a SUSE Linux Desktop running the BigFix client. This PC in each Office is used as a local relay and is also running the BigFix relay. What I would like to do is import our Oracle Linux image and deploy this down to the PCs running SLED to convert them to Oracle Linux. I would have BigFix configuration settting, baselines, deployed to have them configured and setup.

Is or has anyone done this with Linux successfully that could tell me any pain points they experienced or lessons learned? A lot of the documentation appears to be written for Windows and I was trying to find a video of some sort to see how this is all done. Looking for any and all advice on setting this up and getting an image deployed successfully. If I am not doing bare metal do I still need a PXE server?

1 Like

@bkone - So I have done imaged Linux servers using BigFix in the past. I have used this for bare metal deployment and have used it to migrate several ubuntu boxes over to rhel and have also migrated a few boxes from rhel to oel.

I can tell you that the only documentation I have used is the OSD users guide pdf. Chapter 5 was really all that was linux specific, everything else is either general between operating systems or windows specific.

As it relates to getting a video or documentation, I would check out the guide above and then I would follow the OSD Health Check Dashboard, which allows you to get ready for imaging pretty quick. Just read through any warning/error in the dashboard and address anything related to infrastructure, setup.

I would definitely recommend installing the baremetal server as I believe that makes the creation of Linux image pretty easy and you would need this for USB Booting, or CD/DVD boot disk.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.
-jgo