Supported reimageing - only user state migration

(imported topic written by H0UX_Dusan_Vaupotic)

Hi everyone,

I have this problem:

I’m trying to move user state migration data from a Windows XP machine (desktop A), to a new already preinstalled Windows 7 machine (desktop B)

The IBM support tehnican suggested to look over the prerequistes because the task always fails at the first step ‘Validate Endpoint’.

Here I am losing my mind. IBM people say that my scenario is supported, however:

// Check that the re-image old-OS -> new-OS path is supported

continue if {if name of operating system as lowercase contains “vista” then NOT (“WinXP 5.1.2600” as lowercase contains “xp”) else if name of operating system as lowercase contains “win7” then not(“WinXP 5.1.2600” as lowercase contains “xp” or “WinXP 5.1.2600” as lowercase contains “vista”) else true}

Correct me if I’m wrong. Doesn’t the above statement equal false if the source machine is a Windows XP operating system ?

Many thanks in advance.

(imported comment written by PeteCon)

The BigFix OSD toolset is intended to serve the purpose of doing an ‘in-place’ migration from one OS image to another. Out of the box, the solution does not support migrating the user state from system A to system B.

Some options:

1. USMT command lines are pretty simple and you can utilize a simple task to run the user state capture to a UNC share. You can then execute the captured USMT package on the destination machine to complete the task (not automatic).

2. Script USMT to capture and upload user state to the destination machine. Then have a task set to recognize when a USMT package has been uploaded and have it run the load state commands. This one is much more difficult to do as it requires administrative credentials to upload to the destination machine and it also requires proper sequencing of tasks etc.