Strange WebReport Errors

Hey Folks,

I’m seeing strange errors in my Webreport instance that I’m sure how to interpret. I can see

2020-05-14 01:22:42: Background thread general file I/O error: 5

and

2020-05-13 12:54:27: BigFix CIO Server - Content error: in site #15335 ‘Patches for Ubuntu 1804’ File error “class DirectoryCreateFailed” on “C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\BESReportsServer\wwwroot\SiteData\my_ip_address\Sites\Temp\temC080.tmp” : “Windows Error 0x5%: Access is denied.”

This error is recurring with different CIS or patching sites, when I navigate to the Temp directory I see that its empty. I don’t see any issues with file ownership or lack of disk space, anyone any idea what this issue is?

Thanks

1 Like

Hello RichardKav,

Could you please try to restart the Web Reports service and see if the problem with I/O error will be resolved?
Did it start happening after MS Patch Tuesday?
Which BES version are you running?

Regards,
Vitaliy

Just another note for while you are troubleshooting…if you leave a command prompt open in one of those directories, or keep one of the files open, that will lock the directory and give the same kind of error. If that’s not the initial problem, you could make the problem continue or get worse while troubleshooting it.

Most commonly an antivirus may be blocking or delaying writes to those directories, be sure you have AV exceptions in place.

Here is a tech note about AV exclusion
https://support.hcltechsw.com/csm?id=kb_article&sysparm_article=KB0073720

Hey Folks,

Thanks for all the help, it’s much appreciated.

@vnovik My env is running 9.5.13, it’s been occurring for a while now, definitely before MS Patch Tuesday.
If I restart the service it will reappear, but usually for a different CIS or Patch site.

I do have Symantec running on the machine, I’ll investigate what our file exclusion policy is.
Thanks again!

Turns our we are already excluding all /Bigfix Enterprise/* folders on our machines from AV scans, :confused: