Spectrum Protect upgrade for WIndows2012 using Bigfix (script fail RC=5)

Hello everyone,

I have been using Bigfix for TSM/Spectrum protect upgrades (no experience with Bigfix) on WIndows servers. For win2008 is running OK upgrade or the installation from the scratch, but for windows2012 i can’t install/upgrade setting the parameter “Use previous DSMC configuration=Yes” to read the dsm.opt.

errorlog (using the default script available for the upgrade/installation Spectrum protect 8.1.4.1):

Checking if a previous or newer version is installed.
…CMD: timTools.exe --reg -check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\CurrentVersion -param Path -output C:\esd\sdwork\spc81410\us\0\tsm_key.log
Checking for another key for IBM Spectrum Protect…
…CMD: timTools.exe --reg -check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\CurrentVersion -param TSMClientPath -output C:\esd\sdwork\spc81410\us\0\tsm_key.log
…IBM Spectrum Protect is not installed; Continuing the installation.

^^^ERROR: btbs.UsePreviousDSMConfig is set to YES. Previous Configuration files are NOT available and are required.^^^
Package Operation for IBM Spectrum Protect BA Client V8.1.4.1 FAILED.
Returning to commit script with rc = 5…
---------------------------*-
ERROR: spc81410.bat script returned non-zero for spc81410, errorlevel=5.
Installation FAILED: error code 5.

the script can’t find the configuration already existent, someone who faced the same problem ? or can help me ?

One easy thing to try is to disable 32-bit redirection. As the BigFix client is 32-bit, and for backward-compatibility with 32-bit content, by default all actions run in 32-bit mode. That could prevent the installer from detecting your existing TSM install, as the registry query is redirected to Wow6432Node and the file check is redirected to \Program Files (x86).

In your Action Script, try adding

action uses wow64 redirection false
…anywhere before running the installer.