Software offering for New registered Machines

Hi All, Can we install the standard software (MS office, winzip adobe etc) on new registered client in Bigfix . or can we give offer to end user so that they can install the software on their screen. Please guide. @jgstew

Yes, just target the action ‘dynamically by property’ at a group or property that will match the new clients.

You can auto install some software to all new clients, and you can provide an offer for users to trigger manually for other software, or any mix of both as you see fit.

HI , I need help to make the relevance and action script for task to do the deployment , can you please guide how to do that , please

Check https://bigfix.me/ for a good selection of existing content.

You should be able to find something close to what you need and modify it to fit your requirements.

1 Like

This is a good overview of how to create bigfix content from scratch, which even if you don’t end up doing it this way, it is useful to understand the mechanics:

The next best option is to use what is already available in the C3 content libraries. This is the quickest way to start deploying and updating software with BigFix with minimal effort.

After that, looking into other examples of content available on BigFix.Me and the forums and elsewhere that is similar to what you are trying to do already and may only require minor modifications to deploy a newer version of the software.

Then there are dashboards and wizards in the Windows Console to help with creating content to install software. They try to make it easy, but often obscure the customization that is required for some things to work well.

• Fixlet Maker Dashboard
  • Mac software deployment wizard
  • Windows software deployment wizard

If you can’t find an existing option, then you are going to need to figure out how to deploy the software silently on the command line. This is generally going to be required before attempting to make it deployable through BigFix. Don’t think “how do I deploy this with bigfix”, instead thing “how do I install this silently on the command line” which you can find answers for through many different websites that are not specific to bigfix at all, as well as vendor documentation for the silent install options for the software itself.

Can you provide a list of all of the software you hope to deploy with BigFix? Specifics really matter.

1 Like

Hi Jamesj,

I want to install the below software through Deployment task, I am working to install these SW through command line but unable to merge in one deployment with New Registered clients.

• Ms Office 2013 or 2016
  • Winzip
  • adobe Reader.
  • Adove Acrobat.(on demand)
  • Google Chrome
  • BES Client
  • McAfee Client

and more.

don’t make a single fixlet or task to deploy all of the software.

You need to make a fixlet or task for each application separately, test each one, then put them all together in a baseline to deploy to new clients.

Software that is installed ondemand can be deployed as an “offer” that users can select themselves to install. If you don’t want users to be able to install Acrobat themselves, then you would just deploy it after they request it.

BigFix can’t be used to install BigFix. You will generally put the BigFix client in the imaging process, or deploy through Active Directory, or Client Deploy Tool, or manually.

Example: https://bigfix.me/fixlet/details/21682

This example is outdated, but a good place to start:

7zip is provided through the C3 content and I would strongly recommend it as a free alternative to WinZip. It works much better and is free.

There is also an option for WinZip in the Fixlet Maker Dashboard. I do not know if it still works without testing it.

Example: https://bigfix.me/fixlet/details/23638

Where do you download this from? What is the vendor provided documentation for silent installation?

All of the above examples are potentially outdated, but can be used as a basis for installing a newer version of the same software with minor modifications.