Software Distribution Wizard

(imported topic written by gcibirch91)

Hi

I setup a Software Deployment via the Distribution wizard and the action is as follows:

download http://bigfix.cohnwolfe.com:52311/Uploads/dfc5c888e17e041013139a7dbe9671e34340aaa2/EP530-x32-HF-177799-WinClientmsi.tmp

continue if {(size of it = 8823776 AND sha1 of it = “dfc5c888e17e041013139a7dbe9671e34340aaa2”) of file “EP530-x32-HF-177799-WinClientmsi.tmp” of folder “__Download”}

extract EP530-x32-HF-177799-WinClientmsi.tmp

wait “{pathname of system folder & “\msiexec.exe”}” /i “{(pathname of client folder of current site) & “__Download\EP530-x32-HF-177799-WinClient.msi”}” /qn /norestart

When I deploy the fixlet it says running and then completed. Teh software doesnt get installed. what is missing?

Thanks

(imported comment written by MattBoyd)

What exit code did you receive? Here’s how you can turn on logging for MSIEXEC, and some installers need to be told to install the application for all users:

wait “{pathname of system folder & “\msiexec.exe”}” /i “{(pathname of client folder of current site) & “__Download\EP530-x32-HF-177799-WinClient.msi”}” ALLUSERS=2 /qn /norestart /l*v “{pathname of folder “temp” of windows folder & “\MyLogFile.txt”}”

(imported comment written by gcibirch91)

It just says Completed but when I check program location etc there is nothing installed

(imported comment written by MattBoyd)

That means that the command line executed successfully, but that doesn’t mean that the application actually installed. The MSI did not install successfully, so you’ll need to figure out why. You can turn on logging (see my previous post) and check the client logs for the exit code that the wait command returned.,

OK thanks

got this error

Installation success or error status: 1603

(imported comment written by JackCoates91)

http://www.msigeek.com/715/how-to-troubleshoot-the-error-1603-fatal-error-during-installation

OK looked further into it and found this:

MSI (s) (4C:14)

12:51:43:658

: Executing op: ServiceControl(,Name=EQSharedEngine,Action=1,Wait=1,)

MSI (s) (4C:14)

12:52:17:891

: Product: Equitrac Professional Client 5.3.0 – Error 1920.Service EQ Shared Engine (EQSharedEngine) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Error 1920.Service EQ Shared Engine (EQSharedEngine) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Checking the system it starts using System Account, so how do I get around this with BigFix?

(imported comment written by JackCoates91)

most of the time running as localsystem as we’re doing here trumps any permissions issues, but sometimes software will insist on installing as an administrator user. Try using runascurrentuser.exe and limiting to machines where an admin is logged in. If you’re using the new Software Distribution system, there’s a checkbox to select run as current user.

Thanks Jack,

Still on the old sytem.