Software Distribution task with .exe file never completedd

All,

I am new to BigFix. When I created software distribution task, it will automatically create an action script and relevance for me. With .msi installation file, like
Google googlechromestandaloneenterprise64.msi, it works wonderful. But when created software distribution task with .exe, like chrom.exe, 7zip.exe or adobereader.exe or firefox_instalater.exe it will take extremely long time but still not completed. when I check the task details, I found after run.bat, it waits for a return code to identify if the installation completed or not. It seems the return code is not correct when using .exe file. Do not know why. Is there a workaround to fix the .exe task to make the return code correct and then the task can be completed?

Thank you!
Albert

With EXE installers, you need to provide unattended/silent parameters to allow the install to complete without user interaction.

1 Like

By my understand, it seems that software distribution of .msi has unique option /qn but for .exe we have to find out the options case by case. Is that correct?

Yes, MSI packages are “standardized” and generally use a well-known set of command-line options.

With EXE installers, the options can vary quite a bit.