Software Distribution downloads but doesn't install

i’m trying to learn how to install software on win10 machines using bigfix. using firefox, java and adobe reader as a test.

I created packages using “manage software distribution” the software will download to the client but it never installs. I successfully installed 7-zip the same way i did these.

Did you specify the right command for silent installation? The Manage Software Distribution dashboard provides a default command, but it might not necessarily be the proper command.

Also, you should check the logs to see if there’s anything that indicates why it failed. It’s available on the endpoint: <BES Client folder>/__BESData/__Global/SWDDeployData

the only log file in that location is SWD_DeploymentResults.

very little information in that file

command for 7-zip - msiexec.exe /i “7z1805-x64.msi” /qn

command for others is “program file name.exe”

return code: -1073741819

Error Code -1073741819 appears to be tied to a File System Error in Windows 10.

Try this:
Click on Start and search for “Sound”, Click on the Results that shows Sound in Control Panel.

Next, Sound window will pop-up. Click on “Sounds” tab and Change Sound Scheme to Windows Default, then click OK

Another Method:
Right Click on Desktop, Click on Personalize

Next on Personalize Settings, Click on Themes

Then Click on Theme Settings

Choose Windows 10 Theme.

Based on your log information I think @zevanty is correct, you need to customize your SWD tasks to use the correct unattended install command lines & parameters for each application. The parameters to use vary by each executable package installer, which is why BigFix can’t guess them correctly. You can usually find those by checking the vendor site or Google, searching for terms like “silent install” or “unattended install”. You need the command-line installer to work, silently, without presenting any “OK” or “Continue” dialog box before you even try to deploy it with BigFix (or SCCM, or any other deployment tool).

.MSI install packages, on the other hand, use basically the same set of unattended install parameters so it is much easier for the SWD dashboards to guess those command lines correctly. Example, msiexec /i <package name>.msi /qn ALLUSERS=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress works for pretty much every MSI package I’ve seen.

where would i place that command when i find it?

I don’t generally use the SWD wizard to build fixlets, but I think there is a place in the wizard to insert the installation command line. If not, you could manually edit the generated Tasks and replace the installation command in the action script.