Software Distribution after OSD

Hello, after OS Deployment with Bare Metal Server, app installation (Fixlet on Baseline) is very very slow. Is it possible to speed up the installation process in stageing phase? I tried with VERY HIGH CPU usage with no speed improvement. Any ideas?

Is it the swd tasks taking a long to time to “kick off” (you could see this in the client logs) or is it the actual software installs themselves that are taking a long time, or both? How many sites and operators do you have?

1 Like

mine kicks off pretty quickly. what are you using to target your newly imaged machines? what part of the process is slow exactly?

1 Like

Hi dmccalla
the computer is clean and has no installed software and i’ve only very few site. I try to install very small software MSI (cdburnerxp, vlc, 7zip, etc.). I make only one Baseline with swd fixlet.

Hi Entaille
the os deploy is very fast. When the process finishes, it automatically starts a baseline with many SWD fixlet. This part ends in 30/45 min. I want to make the environment modular and do not put the Software on gold image.

I hope I was clear, my english is very rusty :slight_smile:

Can you post a client log so we can take a look at what is going on?

i’m not authorized by the security office. sorry :frowning:

the client log should tell you how long each part is taking, and if there are pauses that are eating up time etc. are you able to list out the software that is being installed?

have you looked through the individual action history for each fixlet in the baseline to determine the speed of each application’s installation time? does that installation time seem appropriate for each app? you might be able to further narrow it down if you can figure out which individual app(s) are taking a while to install.

1 Like

Without seeing the logs it can be difficult to determine where the delay occurs. Here are a few performance thoughts you might try.

When a client is first provisioned, the initial evaluation can take a considerable amount of time, increasing due to the number of subscribed sites, how much content is in those sites, the number of operator accounts with rights, and any content in those operator sites.

In general, make sure your Master Action Site has as little content as possible.

To speed up initial provisioning, you might create a new Custom Site for post-image provisioning. That site could contain only the SWD baselines that you want to apply. You don’t need a copy of your source fixlets in this site, just the Baseline containing the fixlets/tasks. On your other sites, you could put in a computer subscription delay as jgstew describes at Delay BigFix site subscription to speed up client provisioning

If you have a large number of Operator Accounts, you might also delay the operator rights assignment by using a Custom Property, similar to the Site Subscription delay. For instance you could make a Custom Property for “NewProvisionedComputer” with Relevance of
not exists absolute values whose(it > 2*hour) of (now - it) of minima of subscribe times of sites
As part of your Operator Rights assignments, you could configure “normal” operators to only have rights when this value is False, and set up a dedicated operator account for newly-provisioned computers that has rights when this is set to True. Your SWD baseline tasks could be actioned by this dedicated operator account, so the client will start downloading/installing the SWD baselines before it subscribes & evaluates your normal operator account content.

You can also speed up the initial evaluation by setting __BESClient_Resource_StartupNormalSpeed as described at https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/Configuration%20Settings

Are you using any bandwidth throttling at the relays that might slow downloads? Have you distributed relays to reduce any network delays?

1 Like

I solved the problem, it was a QOS firewall problem.
thanks to everyone, as usual you have been kind

1 Like