SLES11 SP3 build fails

Hi, Your assistance is much appreciated.

I created a Bare Metal profile for SLES11 SP3. It uses the default autoyast XML (Manual tab in Bare Metal Profile properties dialog). The profile is created successfully.

The target server (HP BL460c) is PXE booted.
The profile is selected from the Binding Menu.
The server boots to the Linux Installer.
BigFix OS deployment screens display prompting for Network config, Hostname…
The server reboots.
The SUSE installer begins - System Probing…, Perform Installation…
The install fails - “Installation of package ./suse/i586/master-boot-code…rpm failed”. Show details does not give additional useful information. Ignore goes to the next rpm, which fails, etc, etc…

The server also throws a hardware alert - disk array failure. However, the server starts fine from the hard disk after a reboot. This happens every time the OSD build is attempted. Reload using our current process also runs fine!

Can I expect a build to complete successfully with the default autoyast XML provided in the Bare Metal Profile properties? The plan is to replace the default XML with XML used in the current build process. I’m just getting started, one step at a time!

Thanks Mike

Hi Mike,
in case of issues during the Bare Metal deployment, you should look at the logs file, that are located into <BARE_METAL_SERVER_PATH>\global\hostactivities\taskxxxxx folder. You can get taskxxxxx folder name from Activity dashboard, as shown in the picture.
<BARE_METAL_SERVER_PATH> is by default C:\TPMfOS Files
I did not understand if you edited in the manual tab the autoyast.xml and if you get a disk array failure only when booting through OSD. Do you have any RAID configuration enabled?
Anyway, if you are not able to solve by reading logs, my suggestion is to open a case against BigFix OSD for his issue to get official support. Do not forget to attach that set of logs
Regards

Attached the activity dashboard picture that shows OSD task number

thanks Michele for the information.

Hi Michele,

Sorry, To answer your questions:

• I did not modify the autoyast.xml

• To my knowledge, the disk failure alert only occurs during the OSD boot/build

• The blade server does not have internal storage, it uses SAN

Mike

If you verify that disk problems occur only during OSD boot process,it is better for you to get official support for this issue; hence I recommend you to open a case and to attach also, at debug level 4, the folder C:\TPMfOS Files\logs folder plus the bare metal task folder mentioned in a previous post. To set this debug level, you have to set “log notice messages” in Bare Metal Server dashboard and click sync button; after the sync task completed you would retry the bare metal deployment and collect the logs.
Files needed to troubleshoot a Linux deployment are listed here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21974712

Regards

Michele

Thanks again Michele.