Skype 8.42.0.60 installation failed with Exit code 128

Hi All,

@JasonWalker
I was trying to upgrade the Skype to the latest version but it’s failed at the below lines and the Exitcode is 128 for few of the computers and for some others Exitcode is 0.

Can any one suggest to successfully upgrade Skype with out any issues?
i have killed the process before upgrading

Thank you,

Regards,
Riyazbasha

have you tried to download the file manually from the server. I know in out network the FW can block traffics or sometimes there is a problem with SSL bypass.

I had encountered that at one point on my former deployment. Based on where it’s failing you may have the same issue I did - that there was another application installed that included “Skype” in the name, that caused that relevance query to have a plural result. The plural results trigger a relevance error. In my case it was a custom toolbar, and so the content team added “Toolbars” to the relevance query to exclude it.

This statement -

wait msiexec /x {name of key whose (name of it starts with "{" and (it contains "Skype" AND it != "Skype Click to Call" AND it does not contain "Toolbars" AND it does not contain "Skype for Business") of (value "DisplayName" of it as string)) of key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" of registry} /qn /norestart

includes the relevance substitution that is used to find the name of Skype’s Uninstall registry key, and then uses ‘msiexec /x’ to remove Skype.

Either log on to the machine and search the registry, or use the Fixlet Debugger or an Analysis to try retrieving this query -

(name of it, (if exists (value "DisplayName" of it) then value "DisplayName" of it as string else "<no displayname>") of it )of keys whose (name of it starts with "{" and (it contains "Skype" AND it != "Skype Click to Call" AND it does not contain "Toolbars" AND it does not contain "Skype for Business") of (value "DisplayName" of it as string)) of key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall" of registry

If any of those clients have multiple results, then either post back here or open a PMR ticket, we may be able to ask the content team to refine their relevance to exclude it.

Bit more on this too… We use Avaya Softphone on some desktop that throws more into the mix…

Relevance.
exists keys whose ((it contains “Skype” AND it != “Skype Click to Call” AND it does not contain “Toolbars” and it does not contain “Update for Skype for Business” AND it does not contain “Skype Integration” AND it does not contain “Skype Web Plugin” AND it does not contain “Microsoft Skype for Business MUI” AND it does not contain “Skype Meetings App”) of (value “DisplayName” of it as string)) of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall” of registry

Action Script
wait msiexec /x {name of key whose (name of it starts with “{” and (it contains “Skype” AND it != “Skype Click to Call” AND it does not contain “Toolbars” AND it does not contain “Skype for Business” AND it does not contain “Skype Integration” AND it does not contain “Skype Web Plugin” AND it does not contain “Microsoft Skype for Business MUI” AND it does not contain “Skype Meetings App” ) of (value “DisplayName” of it as string)) of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall” of registry} /qn /norestart
wait __Download\SkypeSetupFull.exe ALLUSERS=1 FEATURE_IEPLUGIN=0 FEATURE_FFPLUGIN=0 INSTALLLEVEL=1 STARTSKYPE=FALSE TRANSFORMS=:RemoveStartup.mst /VERYSILENT /NOLAUNCH

Can you post the exact DisplayName of the Avaya product?

Sure Jason… Actually, I was slightly incorrect in that yes, we use Avaya SoftPhone
Avaya Agent | 1.6.2.3007
Avaya Collaboration Services | 6.5.3
But the thing that caused the modification of the fixlet was Jabra… We use the Jabra Pro bluetooth headsets for the Avaya Communicator and this uses

DisplayName Jabra Direct
DisplayVersion 3.8.689.0

Also DisplayName JabraDirect (From HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall (both 32 and 64 bit)

Uninstall String
Jabra Direct, “C:\ProgramData\Package Cache{508c3a72-c776-4128-aaa5-06cd908081a1}\JabraDirect3.8Setup.exe” /uninstall /quiet

There seems to be JabraDirect and Jabra Direct

@Pete_F I’m not sure how Avaya makes a different then…it looks like it wouldn’t be detected by the relevance that finds the Skype uninstall string. What is actually modified in your custom fixlet?
In my case, the plugin for HoloLens had “Skype” in the display name string.

Hi @JasonWalker Thanks for the reply,

The query output is

Q: (name of it, (if exists (value “DisplayName” of it) then value “DisplayName” of it as string else “”) of it )of keys whose (name of it starts with “{” and (it contains “Skype” AND it != “Skype Click to Call” AND it does not contain “Toolbars” AND it does not contain “Skype for Business”) of (value “DisplayName” of it as string)) of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall” of registry
A: {3B7E914A-93D5-4A29-92BB-AF8C3F66C431}, Skype™ 7.40
A: {3C66E71B-4243-46FF-8C4A-29A926968FBC}, Skype Meetings App
T: 60774

Kindly let me know how to go ahead to fix this

Regards,
Riyazbasha

1 Like

It looks like “Skype Meetings App” is throwing it off.

Does changing the actionscript to the following fix the issue?

wait msiexec /x {name of key whose (name of it starts with “{” and (it contains “Skype” AND it != “Skype Click to Call” AND it does not contain “Toolbars” AND it does not contain “Skype for Business” AND it does not contain “Skype Meetings App”) of (value “DisplayName” of it as string)) of key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall” of registry} /qn /norestart

I also put together a fixlet on bigfix.me that you can try.

It’s basically a clone of the existing production fixlet but with additional exclusions for “Skype Meetings App” in the relevance and action.

https://bigfix.me/fixlet/details/26619

This Fixlet is working successfully Thanks @bma
What you have done on the action script?

In the relevance substitution section, just excluded Skype Meetings App:

AND it does not contain “Skype Meetings App”