Size limitation for an analysis result?

(imported topic written by mingjie91)

Hi.

When I read ``BigFix® Enterprise Suite Database API Reference’’, at:

http://software.bigfix.com/download/bes/misc/BESDatabaseAPIReference-7.0.pdf

At BES_COLUMN_HEADINGS section, I found:

``

… column headings with a “Value” containing more than 8000 characters will be truncated to 8000 characters in this view

‘’

I know it is for retrieved properties, but I don’t know whether we have this limitation for analysis result. My plan is to have an analysis which will return the content of a log file and display the result at console, so the size of the analysis could be pretty large.

Thanks,

Mingjie.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hi Mingjie,

The database stores long results in a different database table (LONGQUESTIONRESULTS) and the console knows how to retrieve this data… So longer results should work fine (although you need to be careful because they can have a performance penalty and potential scaling issues).

Ben

(imported comment written by mingjie91)

Thanks.

Hello.

Any ideas regarding how to overcome size limitations inherent to the ‘line of file’ inspector? @JasonWalker taught me it has a limit of 2,048 characters and my expected results are close to 4,200.

The query below finds the newest line in the file I need it from but the analysis result gives the infamous … error description.

line (maximum of line numbers of lines containing "ServerEPS_LaneServiceStatusUpload MESSAGE" of it) of file whose (name of it starts with "jrnl" AND (name of it does not contain "-")) of folder "C:\Program Files\MicroTrax\OpenEPS"

Thanks!

Hi all.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Can you provide more details on what you are trying to achieve? That context would be helpful for providing guidance/recommendations.

That said, without such context, one potential approach might be to run an action to copy the file, insert line feeds/carriage returns with something like powershell, and then parsing the output with a property.

Of course. My hope is to end up with all the information found by the query bellow in the Results tab of the Analysis within the BigFix console.

Thank you also for the suggestion above, though it seems beyond my skill level at this time.

Note this would also give an error on any machine missing that directory path or file. You may be encountering the line length limit issue, but that is not the only potential error.

Thank you for pointing this out.

Sorry, I’m not sure what changed (I’m not the only one with access) but “error” is no longer what I see in the Analysis Results, I now see “multiple results”.

Here is what I see when expanding the Analysis Property within the Summary tab of a target (within the Results tab of the Analysis “multiple results” is what I see), or when hovering over “multiple results”.

You may have multiple files in that directory then matching the filename you supplied.

So far the correct file is always found, but I’m not sure what the additional quotation marks are all about at the end of the answer…

This is the “it” in my query: file whose (name of it starts with “jrnl” AND (name of it does not contain “-”)) of folder “C:\Program Files\MicroTrax\OpenEPS”

The extra “” are because you’re looking at the file object, not just ‘name of file’. If the file had a version, publisher, etc. tgose would be in the additional fields.

Ok so that’s a single line that seems to have been split up in reporting the result. Congrats, you seem to have hit both a client inspector limit and a console display limit.

Is there a badge for that?

:smiley:

OIC - thank you for explaining (re looking at the object and not just it’s file name).

I could probably send you a sticker if you find the workaround :slight_smile:

I’d probably take that line and parse it into separate results for each field of interest, if that is useful at all. Or possibly use a Dashboard rather than an Analysis to view the result, so you could combine that in session relevance.

1 Like

:grin:

This would be my introduction to Dashboards (and parsing), so I will read up on that. Thanks as ever!