Show Program messages when run as system

Is there anyway for programs to interact with the screen when run as system?
reason I ask is, we wrote a reboot program that better schedules a reboot than the BigFix default reboot message, and is not reliant on Bigfix doing the reboot.
Anyway long story short, this can also be used for servers and can be scheduled for weeks out, or longer if required.
anyway I tried to set this up “as current user” and release control, so bigfix does not say it is running for weeks, but when I take out completion=job to allow the run to work, it breaks a section we were using to suppress the UAC prompt, if the UAC prompt comes up, it gives the user an easy out from the reboot.
so I was thinking if I can run it “as system” (elevated permissions, so they don’t see the UAC) but get the program to show up, then I can get bigfix to release control of the action and it does not say running in the console for weeks.

below are the sections we are using to suppress UAC when run as current user, these stop working when completion=job is removed, user gets prompted for UAC.

//disable the UAC prompt
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]” “ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin”=dword:0
if {x64 of operating system}
regset64 “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]” “ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin”=dword:0
endif

//re-enable the UAC prompt
regset “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]” “ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin”=dword:5
if {x64 of operating system}
regset64 “[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]” “ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin”=dword:5
endif

as a work-around I will write a program to launch the program and have bigfix launch the first program that should allow Bigfix to release control when the first process closes.

Yes, check out some of the new override options we added for the RunAs keyword, https://developer.bigfix.com/action-script/reference/execution/override.html. You should be able to use, something like:

RunAs=localuser
user={name of current user}
password=impersonate
asadmin=interactive

1 Like