Should I change the owner of the default BES databases?

(imported topic written by SystemAdmin)

Hello Everyone,

I may have missed a step, but I’m curious about how the default BES databases (BFEnterprise and BESReporting)are created. This is a new install of BES 8.2 on Windows 2008 R2 (joined to our Active Directory domain) using MS SQL Server 2008 R2 as the database in mixed authentication mode. A handful of admins were granted “sa” privileges.

Basically, I logged onto to the server with my Active Directory admin account, and then performed the installation of BES. Everything went fine and I’m up and running. However, I did notice that the database owner of the two default database (above) is my active directory admin account. I guess I thought based on the install guide that it would use the ‘sa’ account or prompt me for which user I wanted to use to create the database?

Anyways, not being much of SQL admin, I’m wondering if I’ll have problems if I change my active directory admin password or if my active directory admin account is ever disabled (I don’t want my account to break the install if I ever leave the company).

Do I need to change this? If so, can I just make another user the dbo on these databases within SQL or are there changes required within Bigfix as well?

I’m not in production yet, but I don’t particularly want to reinstall if I don’t have to.



(imported comment written by r.kelly)

Should hurt anything if you leave it as yourself, but I’d follow best practices and change the owner to sa. It won’t affect anything at all if you do this.

(imported comment written by SystemAdmin)

Thank you. My obsessive compulsive side got the better of me the evening I posted this and I made the changes late that evening. I changed the owner and created a new account for the DSN to use. It was a journey of discovery (I couldn’t find where the DSN was defined for quite a while until I discovered there were two identically named ODBC tools. One 32 bit and one 64 bit) for about an hour and a half that evening but it seems to be all sorted out now.

Thanks again,