Several actions on a singular machine, in the same window; conflict?

Hey everyone,

I work in an environment where we have a lot of cooks in the kitchen. We find that we sometimes are targeting the same machines with different baselines / individual actions.

My question is: If a singular machine is targeted by multiple actions / baselines; with the actions compete for resources? Or does BigFix queue the actions?

For instance, if I have an install running between 3 and 6 am on a machine. And someone else comes behind me and also sets up a different install for that same 3 to 6 am window; will BigFix queue them and run both as long as the time frame allows for it? Or will these two actions directly conflict and cause issues?

Thanks for the help.

I personally would say perform your own testing.

• the party line I have been told that it will only do one at a time, however i have seen it run in parallel when user submitting is Master Operator or when there are actions from different sites…

In general if all of the actions are from the same site and none of users are master operators it should queue and evaluate based on the order received, then the start times requested.

1 Like

No two individual actions run at the same time. When one action completes, the next action can begin, as long as it is still within the allowed time window.

The components within a baseline will execute in their order.

If two Baseline/Group Actions are active, their execution can be intermingled, i.e. the client may run

• Baseline A, component 1
  • Baseline B, component 1
  • Baseline A, component 2
  • Baseline A, component 3
  • Baseline B, component 2
1 Like

Excellent. This was my assumption as well. Also what I’ve just observed throughout my time in BigFix. By any chance, would you know of anywhere this information is accessible in BigFix documentation? I would like to be able to present this information to relevant folks in my organization when it becomes relevant.