Setup bigfix insight

I’m trying to setup BigFix Insight in our dev environment. Requirement is that BigFix insights will only work with SQL Server 2017 or higher and it’s recommended to use SQL Replica vs. reporting directly against BFEnterprise.

I’ve upgrade SQL Server 2019, and did initial setup of DB Replica. The replica is working as expected but I noticed that WebUI does not want to start anymore, I see following error message in datasync.log

info:
  ErrorMessageToken {
    name: 'ERROR',
    event: 'errorMessage',
    number: 3724,
    state: 3,
    class: 16,
     'Cannot drop the table \'webui.custom_computed_fixlet_counts\' because it is being used for replication.',

The SQL Replica I created was “Transactional Publication”, for reading SQL documentation this would ensure any changes performed on BFEnterprise would automatically sync’ed with Replica DB.

Question

• does anybody know what’s best SQL replica solution to use?
  • in my setup I just replicated full BFEnterprise database (DEV Environment) is this required? Documentation does not really talk about tables that are needed for BigFix Insights

Thx for any help.

I don’t know about “best” but the way I got it working is to schedule a backup of the BFEnterprise databases from the different BF environment and put them directly on the Insights server from there have a separate schedule to “restore” them automatically onto databases, then setup the ETLs to point to those restored databases. Works ok and haven’t had issues but whether this is the best way to do it is a different story.

To the second question - as you said the documentation is not very good but from what I see, yes, it’s required because the ETL configuration only accepts SQL credentials and ready database. I would have expected that if it supported anything else it would had “backup” option or “snapshot”, or whatever and it just doesn’t…

1 Like

I am having the same issue and support is now several days into it via an email process. Did you end up finding a solution?