Server Upgrade from version 9.5.15 to 10.0.1 failed

During an attempt to upgrade BES Server from 9.5.15 to 10.0.1 I received an error message regarding the BufferDir limit. the full message is:

The list shows the configuration settings affecting the BufferDir limit. The value specified for each setting is enclosed in parenthesis.
_BESRelay_UploadManager_BufferDirectoryMaxSize ( 1943718400 bytes )
_BESRelay_UploadManager_BufferDirectoryMaxCount ( unlimited )

The upgrade runs if the values of both settings, calculated at runtime in your environment, do not exceed the 90% of the value specified in the parenthesis.

These are the values calculated at runtime in your environment:
Buffer directory size: 1815242634 bytes
Number of files: 204601

Run, as opportune, the following Fixlets, available in the BESSupport site, to fix the issue and then rerun the upgrade:
2695: WARNING: Upload Manager Directory exceeds file max number - BES Server
2696: WARNING: Upload Manager Directory Full - BES Server

Looking for the best practice to resolve this issue. Interested in cleaning up my server since it has been quite some time without maintenance before performing a Server Migration from 2012 to 2019.

Thank you

BigFix BESAdmin has an option to clean up the uploaded files. Check the removecomputers section for the options.

https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/platform/Platform/Installation/c_additional_besadmin_onwindows.html#c_additional_besadmin_onwindows

1 Like

Good advice. You can also check the Description for those settings at https://help.hcltechsw.com/bigfix/10.0/platform/Platform/Config/r_client_set.html

By default, a root server would not have a limit specified for _BESRelay_UploadManager_BufferDirectoryMaxSize so that’s something that may have been set up manually on your server. If you are using Inventory or ILMT it is normal to have a lot of space used in by the upload manager - that’s where scan results from every client are stored, and your limit of just under 2 GB may be too low depending on your deployment size and which features you are using.

BregBF1h
2 to the 64th = 4294967296. The _BESRelay_UploadManager_BufferDirectoryMaxSize = 1943718400 bytes is set in the registry. Would manually setting it to 3,145,728 resolve my issue.

Under prerequisite checks it indicates to run 2695: WARNING: Upload Manager Directory exceeds file max number - BES Server
2696: WARNING: Upload Manager Directory Full - BES Server. However I do not see these fixlets under BES Support

BufferDirectoryMaxSize should be set to more than required size. As for the fixlets, check if “Show nonrelevant content” is enabled in the console.

1 Like