Server Key Tool failed to load DLL

I am attempting to test a migration from Windows Server 2016 to Windows Server 2019. The Server Key Tool ran fine on the older server but this error comes up on the newer one. Any ideas what can cause this and how to fix it?

Link to Server Key Tool Wiki page: Welcome to Wikis

Have you already installed the BES Server on the new machine? That should have supplied and registered the DLL…

Hi @JasonWalker

It appears the DLL is actually in the ZIP file that the Server Key Tool comes with:

According to the server migration docs, the Server Key Tool must run before the BES components are installed: Server Recovery

FWIW I also tried running this with all of the DLLs from the old server migrated over, but that had the same result.

I recently migrated our infra from Master to DR & used ServerKeyTool, it worked just fine but mine have one more DLL than the one is showing in your screen shot.

libBEScryptoFIPS64.dll

Interesting. Where did you download your version of the tool?

The version I downloaded came from here: https://bigfix-wiki.hcltechsw.com/wikis/home?lang=en-us#!/wiki/BigFix%20Wiki/page/Server%20signing%20key%20Tool

There are two links there - separate 32- and 64-bit ServerKeyTool files. Which did you grab?

It’s the 64-bit one.

I noticed the version of the EXE file for the one currently available at the download link is 10.0.5.50. Maybe that is a newer than the version @vk.khurava has, which explains why the DLLs aren’t the same between the versions.

1 Like

I dont know it was there for long in our software dump not sure exactly who & when downloaded it, I dont know if forum support uploading full package, I can share mine.

The team has confirmed there is a problem with the tool in the latest build version, and recommend using an older version of the tool for the moment.
I haven’t located a download link on the older version (yet), so suggest you open a support incident and Support can get you a copy.

Revisiting this topic because a question came up on it. The version of ServerKeyTool linked from the Wiki article above was updated (long ago) and is currently at 10.0.10; which also works as expected with Bigfix 11. The problem described earlier in this thread is no longer an issue, it was fixed long ago.

2 Likes