Server is not rebooting after patching

Hi All,

patching is working fine but RESTART NEEDED action shows please see the below screenshot for your reference.

DNS role is not installed. 52311 port is used by bes client only. I have checked system logs server did not receive reboot action from TEM server.

in same network other servers are rebooted. on this windows firewall is enabled and I have allowed port 52311.

If an action expires, the client endpoint will no longer report on it so you will get no response back. There are fixlets in BES Support that indicate if a restart is still pending but because these actions have expired you will get no further feedback on them.

Hi Alan,

We are using API to create action and these action has expired time but TEM is not able to restart endpoint with in that time frame.

This is looks like communication problem. We see similar problem when DNS role is installed.

this server is still pending for reboot. I have checked windows system logs did not receive restart command from TEM.

You understand that the server does not send a signal to restart the client, the restart is initiated by the client itself based on the post-action behavior that’s defined when you create the action?

It’s configured on the Post-Action Tab described at https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSQL82_9.5.0/com.ibm.bigfix.doc/Platform/Console/Dialogs/action_settings.html

Post-Action Reboot is not likely related to the DNS service. The issue I think you’re referencing is where another application locks UDP port 52311 on the client before BigFix starts. This prevents the client from getting UDP notifications for new content or actions. It doesn’t happen exclusively with the DNS service, any application could do it, but it occurs more frequently on DNS servers as the DNS service grabs a huge number of ports at startup. The 4 results where you highlight “Not Reported” could be related to the client not getting UDP notifications. Without the notifications, the client only sees new content/actions when it polls the relay, which I think is every 12 hours by default.

Sounds like you may be having two separate problems.

yes this action is only for restarting the client. I am sure 52311 port is not used by another application. same actions are working fine for other servers (around 100+ servers )

please see the screenshot

You can also figure out what the last reboot time is using the following property relevancies:

Uptime - Windows
(if it = 1 then it as string & " day" else it as string & " days") of ((uptime of operating system) / day)

Uptime - Unix
(if it = 1 then it as string & " day" else it as string & " days") of ((now - boot time of operating system) / day)

Uptime - Mac OS X
(if it = 1 then it as string & " day" else it as string & " days") of ((now - boot time of operating system) / day)

@jgstew also created a property relevance that can be used:

https://bigfix.me/relevance/details/2999586

with a warning that it is SLOW and to use with CAUTION

2 Likes