"Server Busy" error when launching BigFix Console after Okta was implemented

HI All,

I’m wondering if anyone else has encountered this and, if so, what steps were taken to resolve it:

We were able to launch the BigFix Console just fine prior to our implementation of Okta for multi-factor authentication.

However, since implementing Okta, this is the experience:

Launch Console
Authenticate in Okta
And now, this is where it falls apart… you have six seconds from that point to choose which certificate to use, or then a window pops up stating: “Server busy” “This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose ‘Switch to’ to activate the other busy program and correct the problem”

At that point you have to use Task Manager to close the Console and start again.

As long as you choose your certificate in those first six seconds following Okta authentication (via PIV/CAC) you’re fine, but that’s not ideal.

I’m wondering if anyone else had this issue following Okta implementation and, if so, what steps were taken to resolve it?

I’d settle for a way to just give the operator more than six seconds before that “Server Busy” window pops up, but I’d rather it not pop up at all.

This doesn’t happen when launching WebUI, Web Reports, Inventory, or Compliance. All of those sites are working fine with the Okta implementation. This behavior is only when launching the Console.

Any suggestions would be so appreciated.

That’s a Windows error message, that we have seen with Console logins before but I don’t know that there is a single “root cause” to fix all instances. There may be some useful info in this thread at Windows 2016 Console Login Issue - “Sever Busy”

Some of the common things seem to be

• Make sure the Console machine can access any CRL urls required to validate certificates.
  • Configuration of IE Hardening settings
  • Checking that there are no unexpected certificates in the Personal store of the service account that runs the BESRootServer services.