Self Service Portal (SSP) - Scripting of Registration?

We are in the process of migrating our SWD from SCCM to BigFix and plan on using the SSP for users to pull software. We’d like to make this transition as seamless as possible for end users, and we see the Registration step as a rather large pain point for our thousands of users.

Is it possible to automate the process of registering computers to users in the SSP? I know we can use the registration dashboard, but that is very cumbersome because it only allows doing one at a time and as I mentioned above we have thousands of users.

Have you explored the use of the ClientUI and OFFERS?

Yes, we’ve explored that route. We don’t want to go down that road because we have hundreds of software packages that we keep advertised to various machines across our environment. Using Offers would mean hundreds of Open actions, on top of our already growing number of Open actions to support the rest of our functions. We need a solution that doesn’t rely on Open actions, hence why we’re planning on using SSP.

Is there a way to automate the process of registering computers to users in the SSP?

The closest scripting I can think of is if you can come up with a relevance that grabs the AD user of a machine and use that relevance in conjunction with an action.

I don’t know the relevance (I’ve seen someone else do it), but if you do have it, you can do this actionscript for Windows (adjust accordingly for other OS):

parameter "ADUser" = "{some relevance that grabs the AD user of the computer}" regset "[HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BigFix\EnterpriseClient\SSP_GREEN]" "|{parameter "ADUser"}"=""

Of course, this works if your relevance can grab only one AD user from the machine. If you have multiple AD users per machine, you’ll need to adjust it accordingly.