Select a specific Edition of Windows from ISO when creating Bare Metal Profile

It appears that the latest build of Windows 10 (1709) contains 3 editions of the OS in its iso (Enterprise, Educational, Pro). The default appears to be Educational because when I import the wim and do a deployment that’s what it lays down on the bare metal target.

I’m currently looking through all the options available through BigFix and even doing some reading about manually configuring the MDT, but since I haven’t found any “low hanging fruit” then I thought I’d ask here.

Anyone know how to tell BigFix OSD to select the specific Win10 edition you want to deploy?

Thanks,
M

Hello, first of all , support for 1709 is not yet available in BigFix OSD as of today. We are working to it and we will release a site update in the next weeks.
But, in general, when an imported ISO image contains more than one edition, a drop-down menu is presented in the Bare Metal Profile page that allows you to select the one you want to deploy. Can’t you see this in your env?

Thx

Thanks Alex. Some comments:

a. Thanks for the update. At least now I know that the strangeness I’ve been seeing is not me. I’ll be on the lookout for that site update.

b. I actually did get it to work (I would say about 95%), but I had to update some new OS resources to the MDT Bundle in order to see the drop-down with the different editions in the Bare-Metal profile creation wizard. I didn’t think you needed new OS resources if you were essentially using the same version of the OS, but, since Microsoft included 3 editions in this ISO that were not included in the one I used originally to upload the OS resources it didn’t know how to deal with multiple editions. Once I uploaded new OS resources from the new ISO the drop down with the editions did show up.

We are able to deploy 1709 using BigFix OSD now, but as one of my colleagues posted, we’ve had to downgrade the bare-metal profile embedded version of the BES Client from 9.5.6.63 to 9.5.4.38 to get it to deploy. It errors out otherwise.

Also we have noticed some driver issues during the first boot after the image is laid down, but nothing that is a ‘showstopper’. Hopefully these wrinkles will be smoothed out with the new site version.

Thanks for the reply.

M.

I just registered on this forum which particularly captivated me. I would like someone to help me answer my question.
What’s the path to download just the ISO? I don’t want to use the “media creation tool” and all EXE files are blocked by our network security team anyways, so I can’t. All I need is the ISO so I can mount it up to a VM and check it out without putting all of my normal applications through the trial of compatibility issues with a new OS.

I was able to download the enterprise evaluation ISO, but I’d like a copy of home/pro for home use too.
Related Information: https://pc4u.org/windows-10-home-pro-version-32-64-bit-iso-full-version-free-download/
Thanks for the help.

One way is through a Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) subscription. Not sure if there are others.

Edit the ei.cfg located in source folder as follow:

[EditionID]
Enterprise
[channel]
Volume
[Vol]