Seeing all of the applications installed on a specific computer

(imported topic written by mellis200091)

I am trying to use the reporting features of BES to find out what applications a specific computer has installed. When I click on a computer name in the web reports, I see a lot of information, specifically things like relevant fixlets, action history, etc, but I don’t see the listing of applications for that computer. I do have the application information for windows and Mac OSX turned on, and I can generate reports that will show me all of the applications, but rather then click on an application name and see what computers it is found on, I would like to do the reverse by going to a computer and seeing all of the applications it has installed. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks, and sorry if this is posted somewhere else – I just haven’t found the answer!

Sincerely,

Mike Ellis

(imported comment written by mellis200091)

OK, call me foolish (or choose your own wording). I’ve figured it out.

Thanks,

Mike

(imported comment written by FITZPAW91)

Hi Mellis

Could you share with us how you did it?

William

Hey William,

The answer for me was to login to my web report module, and then I clicked on Reports, then Application Information - Windows (I could also select “Application Information - Mac” if needed). These are analysis’s that need to be enabled in order to work for this.

After I clicked on that, I saw a whole lot of information, but if you look at the top, you will see one that says “View Computers”. When you click on that your display will have the computer name on the left, followed by the Installed applications in the middle, and the Services running on the right. You can always filter by a specific computer so it doesn’t take so long to pull up.

Thanks,

Mike Ellis

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey guys,

I would highly recommend you take a look at the DSS Software Application Management product from BigFix… It has a very sophisticated ability to look at which applications are installed and correleate that against a database of known applications to give you the best match. It also has very nice reports to tell you all about applications vs. licenses available, and so on… Here is a video if you are interested:

http://www.bigfix.com/videos/chalktalks/bigfix-dss-sam.php

Ben

Thanks, Ben, I’ll take a look at it. Is this something that is an add-on and requires a license for? Hope things are going well for you and BigFix!

Take care,

Mike

(imported comment written by FITZPAW91)

Thansk mellis2000

I will look into it also Ben, but like mellis2000, I hope this is a free product.

William

(imported comment written by BenKus)

You will need to check your current license with BigFix, but DSS SAM is a separate product. Please work with your sales team to get more information…

Ben