S20-JAN: Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 - Windows Server 2016 - KB4534271 (x64)

We have a few servers where this Patch failed to install but BigFix is showing it a successful and no longer Relevant. When I look at the Relevance, there is nothing in there that points exactly to that Patch being installed. How can I update the Relevance to check specifically for that Patch?

Has the machine re-booted?

I would also check the pending restart fixlets in case: in BES Support site > Restart Needed

Hi Gwyn, yes, server has been rebooted

Bigfix

Even if it has re-booted once, I would check to see if it’s still pending another. I’ve seen similar behaviour in the past. Just check the fixlet to validate, we can then discount that as an issue.

Apologies just seeing the failure picture. Did BigFix return an exit code?

I’ve also applied this patch to a few Server 2016 boxes. It took two reboots.

We’re also hitting the Patching_Pending_Reboots issue on other servers, so I’m going to fix this once and for all by simply copying the DLL and letting windows deal with it. The problem I have is how to determine where the patch failed and where it really worked

Patching_Reboot_date 2
Reboot_Flag_Set 2
Reg_entry_for_files_requiring_reboot ??\C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\New\tsprint.dll

3010 is a ‘pending restart’ exit code. I would absolutely check the Restart Required fixlets, and also monitor them before you go through a patch cycle. In an ideal scenario you should reboot before and after an update, especially a cumulative update.

If the patch failed to apply, after the next re-boot it will either roll back or show a succesfull install. If the former, this should also reflect in the relevance of the task in BigFix e.g. it will become relevant again

@djrobin The specific part of the relevance that determines whether KB4534271 is installed is:

(it as integer < 3443) of value "UBR" of key "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" of native registry

Applying KB4534271 should bump the UBR version to 3443, which you can see in the corresponding KB article. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4534271

1 Like

We seem to have a mismatch between the Windows Update Dialogue History and the Control Panel - Installed Updates information. Patches are showing in Installed Updates - but not in History Panel