Running Task trough Rest-api

Hi All,

I am trying to start an action for a particular Bigfix Task(through its Task ID? if possible) through rest-api

I have a list of clients, that i want to parse into the action of the task sot that it runs as a single action on all the endpoints, and expires after a couple of hours

Any suggestions on how to create the required xml/rest-api query for this will be really helpful, thanks!

There’s a pretty good discussion here, including XML samples for both single- and multiple- action groups.

Basically you’d use the “SourcedFixletAction” resource, description at https://developer.bigfix.com. Using SourcedFixletAction, you identify your task’s Site, ID, and Action Name (usually “Action1”).

Thanks Jason, i don’t think i can build a baseline around it, as the relevance condition cannot be checked through bigfix, but can definitely try to export the .xsd file of the task and run the xml query for action

But if i go through the XML definition route, will have to copy paste the entire definition of the task/fixlet as it is? Asking because the action definition is quite large, and was hoping there would be a simpler method to call Task through their specific Task IDs only

I believe there is a limitation that the SourcedFixletAction resource can only appear once - so you can send one SourcedFixletAction for a baseline, or send separate single actions (one action for each Task) using SourcedFixletAction.

To build a Multiple Action Group on-the-fly, you’d need to copy separately the Relevance and ActionScript for each Task.

right now, i am trying to build a curl command that will POST an action from the action.xml file, i was successfully able to run a single action on a particular endpoint successfully, now checking how to pass all the computer IDs in the action task

1 Like