Running .exe as user (not admin )

override wait
completion=job
hidden=true
runas=currentuser
waithidden cmd.exe /c “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC\Creative Cloud.exe” /s

Trying to run creative cloud, because should force update once app is opened. When .exe is ran by admin, the app breaks is unable to boot up successfully. Focus is only on window machines.

Any help is appreciated

You might want to have a look at this document - it will help fix this problem:

override

Specifically:

RunAs=localuser specifies a user who can be different from the logged on user.

get syntax error.

Those are the wrong quotation mark symbols, they are “smart quotes” (usually from copy/pasting from the Forum or a rich-text editor). You need to retype them so you have "standard quotes"

changed, still same error

Again, https://developer.bigfix.com/action-script/reference/execution/override.html

With ‘RunAs=localuser’, the ‘user=’ parameter is required.

Also, after using ‘override’, you wouldn’t call ‘waithidden’, you’d just call ‘wait’. ‘waithidden’ is a subtype of ‘wait’ with some default overrides, but since you’re specifying overrides yourself you need to use ‘wait’ instead of ‘waithidden’. Then your override for ‘hidden=true’ makes this wait…hidden.

RunAs=localuser specifies a user who can be different from the logged on user.
Specify the mandatory option user in one of these two formats: user=your_username, or user={relevance to describe the username} to allow a parametrized input.

This keyword requires the BigFix Agent to run successfully, for this reason it does not work when run from the Fixlet Debugger.

On Windows systems you can specify any local or domain account. If you use the keyword Completion=process or Completion=job, there is no need for the specified user to be logged on the system in advance. If you use the keyword Completion=none, the user must be logged on the system in advance and must have a registry hive.

1 Like

I know these options are complicated and there’s a lot of mixed scenarios…I’ve tried to build a list of example usages at Tip - Action Override User settings that may be helpful

1 Like

that post is very helpful. any ideas on how to solve this

I cant use localuser, because plan on running on multiple machines. so it wouldnt work well.

As noted above

You will need to test this in a real action - even if you make it run something that won’t make changes, just to check your syntax and options for the override

ahhh gotcha, yeah will create action and try to figure it out.

looks like it get stuck at the wait line. Unsure if syntax of that command is right.

Does that .exe run silently?
Typical installers pop-up dialogs to confirm install location, report progress etc. and you need to provide command-line parameters to suppress the dialogs, reboots etc.

Ah, welcome to “paths with spaces need to be quoted”.
cmd.exe in particular has special handling with embedded quotes, so this syntax may not work with other executables, but for cmd.exe in particular you need to quote the entire command line (out quotes) as well as quoting any internal paths with spaces (inner quotes), and cmd.exe sorts it all out.

However you also need to disable 32-bit redirection in the action, so the path to ‘Program Files’ works and does not get redirected to ‘Program Files (x86)’. All told, I think this is what you need something more like this (but I don’t actually know the command line to run the update, I’ve been taking this from your bits above). If this just “opens” Creative Cloud, since it’s running with a hidden interface that the user doesn’t see, it will never complete and the action gets stuck in ‘Running’ until you kill the creative cloud process.

action uses wow64 redirection false
override wait
completion=job
hidden=true
runas=currentuser
wait cmd.exe /c "cd "C:\Program Files\Adobe" & "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC\Creative Cloud.exe" /s"
1 Like

yup sole goal it to open Creative cloud. It just auto update once app(creative cloud) opens

Jason this worked, thanks a bunch. can you expand on what completion does.

it doesn’t, think like it booting up like chrome.