RHEL and CentOS Patching taking too Long

Hi,

I am facing issues of Machines taking more than 6-7 hours for RHEL and CentOS patching.

I am using Baseline deployment. But when i use Multiple-Package Baseline Installation task all the patches in baseline fails.

Any suggestion!!!

Do you have the Red Hat download plugin configured on your server?

What version are the BigFix clients at that are running on your RHEL and CentOS endpoint machines?

This issue may be coming into play for you if you are at a version less than the current version of 9.5.7

Issue 138234 - APAR IV93412 - SLOW EVALUATION CYCLE FOR CLIENTS 9.5.X WHEN USING “LINES OF FILE” INSPECTOR

Listed at: http://support.bigfix.com/bes/changes/fullchangelist-95.txt

Hi Tim,
Yes. I have configured the New RHSM Plugin in my environment.We have 9.5.2 Bigfix version

Currently we have 9.5.2 agents on the server. Does all the patches for RHEL and CentOS use Lines of File Inspector.

I will upgrade one of the clients and check on this.

I have tried other option of using Multiple-Package Baseline Installation task the deployment is faster but most of the patches are failed. I had followed the sequence mentioned in ibm document.

If I search through the fixlet content I have enabled in my console, I see that “lines of file” exists in the relevance of fixlets within the following sites:

Patches for AIX
The CIS checklist sites
BigFix Labs

There could be others which I do not have enabled

In my environment the “lines of file” inspectors in 9.5.x impacted our Linux hosts to the point that we had held them back on 9.2.9, and are just now beginning to test with 9.5.7. There was a lot of Linux content using ‘lines of file’, but I don’t know whether most of it was in the “Patches for RHEL” or the various “CIS Checklists for RHEL” sites. But we had seen client evaluation cycles jump from about twenty minutes to a few hours going from 9.2 to anything between 9.5.1 and 9.5.6

We have Bigfix Agents on 9.2.8 version . But still we are facing such issues.

Not sure if you’ve seen the possible causes of failure for MPI installation listed in the FAQ entry: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SS6MER_9.5.0/com.ibm.bigfix.patch.doc/Patch/Patch_CentOS/c_frequently_asked_questions.html

Make sure to register the CentOS R2 Plug-in as well.

The Plugin is up to date and registered.

You’re definitely having some kind of problem then, patching should not take 6-7 hours. It’s probably more than what we’ll be able to help with in the forum, sounds like you have all of the basic setup done. Do you have a PMR open with IBM on this? They’ll probably need a lot of detailed logging information but they should be able to help you resolve it.