RHEL 7 SP 4 deployment on HP server

Hi,

I’m encountering behavior while deploying RHEL7 SP4 on an HP blade that can’t be explained. I have opened BigFix and RedHat cases, but neither have been able to reproduce or provide an explanation and more importantly a resolution.

The issue is during the deployment, the HP ILO4 and local consoles are locked to keyboard input. The Anaconda installation environment sets up 5 virtual consoles, which can be switched between to view various debugging info. If the deployment completes successfully and no debugging is required it’s not an issue. It becomes an issue when the install fails and debugging info needs to be gathered or as in my case, the kickstart script prompts for input.

Has anyone experienced this behavior? How was it resolved?

Thanks

Do you have “User Interface Locking” set up? I believe it is an option in the deployment profile or the template in the Image and Media dashboard. That would intentionally lock out the keyboard and mouse.

Another possibility is that the USB interface may not work using whatever driver is builtin to the PXELinux / mini kernel used during deployment. I’ve not done as much Li ux deployment, but swhen deploying Windows some of my WinPE environments have not allowed keyboard/mouse input when plugged in to USB3 ports but worked when plugged in to USB2 interfaces.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll look into that.

I don’t get any hits on “user interface locking” in the OSD User’s Guide.

Sorry, yeah, that might only be in the (deprecated) web interface. Is your team using that interface? Shouldn’t be a problem unless they’ve gone in there and changed some of the templates manually.

Yes, the Web UI is installed. I’m not aware of any changes. It’s weird, this only occurs on RHEL deployments. SUSE deployments are fine.

The “default” deployment scheme does have the entry:

Disable user interface during deployment: Yes

If this applies to the remote console, shouldn’t it impact both RHEL and SUSE?

FYI… Changing the flag to No had no impact.

I’m afraid you’ll probably need to open a PMR to troubleshoot this one. I could understand a broken/missing USB driver might prevent the local keyboard & mouse from working, but I wouldn’t expect that to affect an iLO4 interface.

Thanks Jason. Yeah, I already opened a case. They could not recreate the issue on a VM and didn’t have an HP server to test with!.