RFE - Enhanced Removal Tool Features

Good day all - I recently created the following RFE for BigFix “Removal Tool” (now part of Admin tool) product enhancement.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=123188

As it stands now, the removal tool only works with single-criteria, and very limited criteria options, which limits it’s usefulness. The ability to remove systems based off multiple criteria and/or filter out based on criteria, plus the ability for “lists” of removals to be based on criteria other than “hostnames” (eg true unique identifiers like the ID) would greatly enhance this. I provided a few use cases in the RFE.

I was hoping that when the tool was moved into the admin tool in 9.5.* that such enhancements would have been added, but indeed that hasn’t yet been the case.

I’m afraid that sounds like a really specific use case and I could see it being difficult to cover everyone’s needs in the removal tool.

The way I handle this, is to configure the removal tool to only remove deleted computer objects. Then I use my own RESTAPI or dashboard tools to delete the computers that we decommission or that have had duplicate objects created for them.

If you set up a similar workflow, you can delete the computers based on whatever criteria you like, and then let the audit trail cleaner remove their references a day or two later.

1 Like