Retrieving files from UploadManager Data via API

Hello Everyone!
When using the “archive now” command, the gathered data is stored in
"BufferDir/sha1/xx/yyyyyyyyxx/"

my problem is… is there a way to access (download) such data via the REST APIs? (or in any other way short of accessing the root server filesystem, for obvious security reasons?)

1 Like

We run a daily policy action on the root server itself to sort out the uploads from the prior day and copy them out to other drives/shares by type/purpose of file based on naming conventions of the files and the computers. Consumers of the files go to their respective share with permissions tailored to them. We’ve used this approach successfully for several years.

In one case where we were doing mass log gathering for troubleshooting for a particular vendor’s software, we took it a step further and actually added a step to automatically ftp all the relevant logs to the software vendor daily until the issue was fixed. Sure beats doing it manually.

This post from a few years ago may help get you started if you use a job on the root server approach.

No, I’m afraid that’s not possible for files in the UploadManagerData folder. This is a very good reference for information about REST API Resources: https://developer.bigfix.com/rest-api/api/. Looking at the “Upload” section, it seems like only files in the Uploads folder may be handled through REST APIs.

@Jon @aginestr Thanks for your answers!
Alas, this seems a limitation of the current APIs… since while the product (bigfix) allows to gather files from clients, it does lack a way to retrieve it (outside of a custom/3rd party solution that is).

Given the above, I fear the better approach would be to file a product enhancement request :frowning: