Restrict Relay Selection by network hops

I just came across a setting i wasn’t familiar with that i think will solve a problem i’m having. I only want endpoints in a remote office to connect to their local site relay. If that relay goes down then i want the endpoint to failover to a predefined list of relays (_BESClient_RelaySelect_FailoverRelayList).

I believe this setting _BESClient_RelaySelect_MaximumTTLToPing should do the trick. If i set it to 1 then endpoints should only attempt to register with a relay that is a max of 1 network hop away, correct? The environment i’m working in does not have any firewall rules in place to block access to other relay that are 2+ network hops away which i do not want the endpoints connecting to them. Are there any concerns with this approach that I should be aware of?

Thanks!

This is certainly one approach, yes. Another is Relay Affiliation, which can also be leveraged (in parallel…they’re not mutually exclusive).

One note: the MaxTTLToPing value does not correspond exactly with the number of network hops (as might be identified with something like a trace route). A MaxTTL of 2 will cause the Clients to only find/look for Relays on the local subnet (1 hop per trace route). A MaxTTL of 3 will find Relays 1 ‘Distance to BES Relay’ away (2 hops per trace route).

1 Like