Resolved : IBM Bigfix client Deployment Windows Error 0x5: Access is denied

Hello All,

After deploying Bigfix clients via IBM Bigfix Client Deployment tool ver9.5.3.211, Getting error “Windows Error 0x5: Access is denied” on many machines as i have crossed checked the domain Admin ID credentials which are correct and below prerequisite have been cross checked on affected machines.

We must be logged in with a domain administrator account with all necessary permissions (or any admin account with full permissions on the computers we wish to deploy to)
We must type in the domain administrator password after you choose to deploy the BES Clients
The remote computers we wish to deploy to must be Vista, 7, 8 or 10
The remote computers we wish to deploy to must have the following services running:
Workstation
Server
Net Logon
Remote Registry
The remote computers we wish to deploy to must have ‘File and Print sharing’ enabled
The remote computers we wish to deploy must be reachable using windows RPC protocols. So all the network policies on given ports/protocols needs to be implemented.

After reading so many forums and got below resolution which not helpful for me.
Error: System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied.
Meaning: Username/password correct, but account does not have permission to ADMIN$ share.

Guys need your help to resolve this issue…

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you verify that both the computer running the Deploy tool and the target computer on which you wish to install the client are on the same domain ?

What happen if you try to put \\TargetHostname\ADMIN$ in explorer ?

If don’t need AD discovery you can also run the Deployment tool from a domain computer with a local administrator account.

1 Like

Deploy tool and target computer both are in same domain and able to open \TargetHostname\ADMIN$.

1 Like

Very strange.
What OS version has the target computer that returns the access denied error ?

1 Like

OS Version Win7 and error returning “Windows Error 0x5: Access is denied.”

1 Like

Try the following commands from a cmd terminal :

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\BigFix Enterprise\BES Console\ BESClientDeploy

BESClientDeploy.exe /useComputerNameList “C:\list.txt” /automatic /username myuser /password mypassword

Replace the credentials accordingly and put in the file C:\list.txt the hostname or ip of the target computer which is returning the error. Then post the output here.

2 Likes

f.pezzotti
No luck :frowning: Installation failed.

1 Like

This is what I was expecting.
The command I gave you runs the same deploy from a command line. The reason why I asked you to do this is because from the output I can figure out what precise step is failing. Please post the output of the command.

1 Like

After running that command, Client Deployment Wizard opens and after showing installation failed its get disappears from the screen…

Logs
targethostname:
Assembling computer name…
Connecting to remote machine…
Copying installation files…
Opening the Service Control Manager…
Installation Error: Windows Error 0x5: Access is denied.

1 Like

Hi,

Me too face the same on 9.5.3 version, so i use this tool to install clients remotely and some of the machines getting failed due to UAC settings privileges.

http://software.bigfix.com/download/bes/util/AgentDeployment/TEMAgentDeployment-1.0.453-win.zip

Regards
Vicky R

1 Like

According to the official Microsoft documentation, computers on the same domain which are used with domain accounts are not affected by UAC:

A user who has a domain user account logs on remotely to a Windows Vista computer. And, the domain user is a member of the Administrators group. In this case, the domain user will run with a full administrator access token on the remote computer, and UAC will not be in effect.

However there must be a list of exceptions to what is stated there.

@divyam Can you repeat the installation from command line using the target’s local administrator credentials ?

1 Like

Sorry for delay in response…

Again no luck, Installation Failed… :frowning:

1 Like

Do you have Anti-Virus or Intrusion Detection/Prevention software on the computers which are failing ?

1 Like

Trend Micro is there but on those machines where client deployed successfully also having the same version and machines are on same OU…

I have cross checked the both machines where the Client is Failed and Fix
settings are same policies are same but don’t know where is the issue and if I’m deploying client via TEMAgentDeployment-1.0.453-win.zip2 most of the clients are installing but its time taking process.

1 Like

So do you mean that with the Agent Deploy tool ( Java tool ) the same computers don’t fail ?

1 Like

Exactly, I was also surprise…

Agent Deploy tool ( Java tool ) giving me 70% success. But i can’t deploy all the client with this.

Its taking too much time for one by one installation.

1 Like

Agent Deploy tool ( Java tool ) giving me 70% success

So if I haven’t misunderstood also the Agent Deploy tool ( Java tool ) fails but not on the same computers which are failing with the Client Deploy tool ( Executable tool ).
Is that correct ?

1 Like

Ok let me clear…

I have 100 machines where i’m getting access is denied issue via IBM Bigfix Client Deployment tool.

and if i try to deploy client on those same 100 machines via Agent Deploy tool ( Java tool ), tool is able to deploy client on 60-70 machines.

Even one more case i saw today, Where i have already deployed the clients via IBM Bigfix Client Deployment tool and same checking via IBM Bigfix Client Deployment tool its showing access is denied instead of installed (running).

Don’t know whats going wrong with me… :frowning:

1 Like

It sounds like a network issue.
Do you have a firewall / IPS software on your switch / router ?

You may also try to temporary disable Trend Micro and see if the problem go away.

1 Like

There is no Firewall and after Trend Micro uninstallation **No Luck :frowning: **

1 Like