Reporting on Computer Group

We recently created our first sub Computer Group. I tried to generate a classification report this morning and there was no data and no error message. I have generated Audit Snapshots for this group recently and that worked fine.

There is a BigFix Data Import in progress. Is this preventing the Computer Group report from running?

Is this a computer group you defined in Inventory, or somewhere else?

BigFix Inventory. I can generate the reports from the menu on the side except for the custom saved report that I save there.

I supposed it’s possible that the import is consuming so much resource (mostly SQL) that the report generator page can’t render, but I think it’s unlikely.

What symptoms are you seeing? Does the browser navigation bar just keep spinning? Are you getting an error message, a totally empty page, or a page with all the column headers that just doesn’t contain the data you expect (no rows)?

You could wait for the import to finish and try again, but I suspect that you may have built a combination of filters that that excludes all of the results. When building a new report, it’s sometimes useful to add or remove filters one at a time so it is easier to see if one filter excludes all the expected results.

Thanks for your suggestions Jason. I’m embarrassed to say I found the problem. I was given a list of IBM Product titles to search for. These are products that are supposed to be deployed. None were found so that is why it appeared the report did not run. I really do not like search by Product titles because the naming is not consistent and components get bundled with other Products.

Yeah, I agree, normalizing software products & titles is a complex process and it’s error-prone. I’ve been stumped before, especially when titles include things like © or ™ in the titles/descriptions.

One approach I sometimes take is to audit occasionally, filtering by Publisher so we can check whether any new or unexpected titles have appeared and add those to reports as needed.

Glad you got it sorted out though!

1 Like